Maintenance Tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I am currently buying some of the tools for the maintenance and repair of our family bikes. I have just bought a BB tool and was deciding whether to buy a 32mm socket and an 18" breaker bar for the BB extraction (my current 3/8" socket set only goes up to 19mm). Does this make sense or is there something better I could buy to remove difficult to move bottom brackets?
Also, one of my bikes BB has a locking ring on the non drive side that needs a C spanner (if that's the right term). Do these spanners come in different sizes and if so how do I determine which size I need?

Any advice appreciated.

PpPete

Legendary Member
32 mm socket? Lockrings that need C spanners - these would be old style loose bearing BBs then? What tool is it you just bought?
Much as I dislike spline drive tools the cartridge BBs are so much easier and seem to last forever.
Old 6ft piece of scaffold pipe is always better than an 18" breaker bar... then you can recruit passing family member, however weedy or lightly built, and still guarantee to get the beggar turning..

sidevalve

Über Member
32mm is a big socket, add on a bar and you've got a nice little bill. Still, a 24inch bar will allow a lot of force to be applied. C spanners do come in different sizes but you should still be able to find bicycle specific ones in the tool shops or even on E bay. It may be possible to CAREFULLY tap the ring round with a blunt punch and hammer, worth a try, if the ring isn't siezed it should free off fairly easily.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

sidevalve said:
32mm is a big socket, add on a bar and you've got a nice little bill.
Thanks for the reply sidevalve. I thought of an 18" bar as I can get a Sealey for £10 and a socket for £6. I have a 2'+ tube I can slide over the bar if necessary. I did think of tapping the nut as you suggest but would like a proper spanner if I can get the right one cheapish.

gwhite said:
Best C spanner around I find is the Hozan which is perfect for the job. A bit pricey though.
Just searched this and seem to be mainly in USA not UK and as you say gwhite very expensive, upwards of £20 to £30. Too much for one job!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
$(KGrHqV,!lEE5z7L7GPMBOmUtu7ONw~~60_12.jpg
How about a box spanner? £3.65 inc. postage on ebay.

PpPete

Legendary Member

Top Bottom