Make my basic Sirrus faster/lighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
What would be the best way to upgrade my ride?

Would I be as well just getting a higher spec Sirrus or can I upgrade on the cheap.

Thanks

domtyler

Über Member
Buy new wheels and/or tyres.

I wanted to do something similar to my Sirrus, I put new wheels on and changed the 28mm (Spesh Nimbus/ Armadillo) for foldable 25mm Conti 4 Seasons. The cheapest place to start would probably be the tyres.

Oh and as Longers said I got rid of the suspension seat post replaced it with a spesh Pave

stevenb

geopat said:
How much for decent wheels/tyres?

You can buy a pair of Shimano Ultegra wheels for £190.
They are pretty light for the money at 1685g (excluding skewers).
Putting on a pair of Conti GP4000 s tyres at 205g a piece at £24.99 will also lighten the load as will a pair or lightweight inner tubes, either Conti Superlights or Bontrager XXX lites (Bontragers are a few £ cheaper for only 4g more weight!!!) from approx £5-10.
Rolling resistence will be reduced and the bike will feel lighter when you ride it as well is when you lift it up to feel.

Failing that...keep yours eyes out for a good quality 2nd hand pair.:ohmy:

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
I take it those light tyres come with minimum puncture prevention.

I seem to pick up a puncture every few weeks.

longers

Legendary Member
I might very well be wrong here so apologies in advance but I think I saw Aksiums for £120 at Decathlon. Possibly :ohmy:.

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
So a £170 spend on wheels/tyres would make it feel like a different bike?

Is this a wiser spend than upgrading to a Sirrus Sport/Elite or Pro.

Thanks

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep, no doubt about what's required, new wheels and tyres. Stevenb's suggestion looks good, worth checking weights compared to what you have now. Like a lot of wheels, Aksiums are good value and pretty too but are not overly light at 1855g per pair (2008 models, previous versions are 140g heavier). It doesn't sound a lot, but on wheels light weight really makes a difference. I would be tempted to go for the Ultegra's if available for £190 a pair.
In between, Fulcrum Racing 5's have been well recieved too.
My tyre choice would be Michelin Pro-Race 2's, cheap from Parkers.

Top Bottom