Making a living out of cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

I don't think there would be enough call in our town for cycle-taxis (I'm thinking of those things with a two-seat carriage on the back, "rickshaw" is it?) and I wouldn't have a clue how to fix bikes (so a bike shop is out), but I wondered about jobs or schemes for making a living out of cycling.

No desk, lots of fresh air, fitness built-in to the job. There must be some way of making cycling pay?

tuffty

I don't think there would be enough call in our town for cycle-taxis (I'm thinking of those things with a two-seat carriage on the back, "rickshaw" is it?) and I wouldn't have a clue how to fix bikes (so a bike shop is out), but I wondered about jobs or schemes for making a living out of cycling.

No desk, lots of fresh air, fitness built-in to the job. There must be some way of making cycling pay?

There are still cycle couriers in London I think?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've just signed up with a company that's just started up. the emphasis is on how companies can gain iso whatever accreditation by using bikes to send internal/external documents around. not had any work from it yet, but i'll let you know. i've obtained a nice carlton fixie for the purpose (cost me the price of an hour's chat with an older clubmate, which was interesting anyway); there's no way i'd be seen dead one of their boring hybrids…;)

http://www.bicycleco...o.uk/index.html

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Rope making!

or ask the government or local council if they'll pay you to coach people who are overweight to cycle rather than give them the £400 pounds to loose weight! there must be a payed job in that somewhere.

jimboalee

Cycle courier. A private light parcel delivery service where the employee uses a bicycle as transport.
The Royal Mail are abandonning this idea.

Rickshaw. A human powered Hansom Cab.
You'd have to undercut the bus and be quicker.

Garden shed bicycle repairs.
If your handywork causes a customer's death, you're for it!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I've done some work for a Hilldodger of this parish, so you can make cycling pay to a degree.
Having said that, I'm still waiting for the cheque, so it maybe doesn't pay all that well...
:whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycle courier. A private light parcel delivery service where the employee uses a bicycle as transport.
The Royal Mail are abandonning this idea.

Rickshaw. A human powered Hansom Cab.
You'd have to undercut the bus and be quicker.

Garden shed bicycle repairs.
If your handywork causes a customer's death, you're for it!

Not in London you don't
I think it's £5.00 per street block.
I have a friend who does this and makes a very nice living.
Made over £250 one night during the summer.

Not in London you don't

Maybe, but being a rickshaw driver isn't a secure job with regular income. If it pi**es down with rain you don't earn very much and unless you are super fit you can't do it for long.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:blush: I sort that out :blush:

Whoops! I still owe you an invoice too....

I sort of make a living from cycling - partly from working for a cycling magazine, and partly from riding a loadtrike around while doing the recycling collection job. Plus the odd bit of roadshow work here and there. As Rog says, it's not a big income, and it's not all cycling, but it's in the right direction.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm e-baying some old bike bits wot have been festering in the garage for a while (that'll be decades in some cases so Vintage goes in the sakes pitch :whistle:). But I'm not expecting to make a living at it. Better than the skip tho' (the e-baying/recycling that is).

So - why not go skip diving and visiting your local tip routinely, sorting out what you get and flogging it on e-bay? Ooh - mechanical skills needed - so you'll need a partner :biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
Tricycle + large "A" board = advertising. Seen 2 businesses for sale recently on Ebay sub £5k, both with work on their books, how much of course, I don't know. If you can sell then I don't think it'd be too difficult to at least make a wage.

I know somebody who makes a living from cycles alone, he services and repairs from his shed along with re-furbishing and selling on Ebay. He lives "small" and is the happiest guy I know.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Not in London you don't
AIUI there's no set rate, it's what you think the customer will pay (if you work for a company, maybe they tell you what to charge - but the sector is basically unregualted, there's no law about charges)

And 99% of passengers are taking a ride for the novelty value, not to get from A to B, so it really matters very little how long you take

All that said, I moved house once using a rickshaw-based bike (cycles maximus work trike) and they really are rather heavy

Shaun

Founder
You could always start a cycling forum ... :whistle:

The only one I could think of that could possibly provide a "wage" as such was working as some kind of cycling training instructor.

I expect you'd have to really milk-it in the summer to cover the cost of winter - and with schools off for a long period in the summer I wonder if there would be much call.

Maybe if we had a larger cycling "scene" or it was much more a part of our culture, there would be more opportunities?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom