Making a pie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have many fine qualities, modesty being one of them, but I'm the first to admit that pie-making is not high on the list.

I intend to make a chicken and mushroom pie today in celebration of my dear lady's return from afar.

The question is, should the pie have a pastry base and top, or will just a top do?

Any other tips gratefully received about pastry making, ingredients.

Thanks.

Just a top - but it has to be a quality top

forget pastry making - it may be fun and all that but unless you have a black belt in it the effort put into it never seems to actually reflect in the finished product - pop out and buy some - personally I am a puff man - just make sure that it is well supported when you cook it

beastie

Guru
A pie must always have a pastry bottom and top.

Try a rough puff pastry.
500g plain flour
250 g butter
240 mls cold water
Pinch of salt.

Crumb the butter and flour and salt together between fingers and thumbs.

Make well in the mix then pour all of the water in and mix with a fork, then by hand. It may seem a little wet, don't worry.

Form into a ball on a heavily floured work surface
then roll into a 1 inch thick rectangle.

Fold the ends over each other like a pamphlet, turn 90 degrees and roll out again. Repeat 3 - 5 times.

When you build the pie use 2/3 for the bottom and sides and the remainder for the top. The pastry should be about 1/2 inch thick. Brush pie with egg wash for a nice color and cook at 180 c for about 40 mins, or until done.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Mmmmm pie. Pies are always better with a pastry base and top, but I'd rather have one with just a top than no pie at all. Having said that, avoid at all costs the horrible floating oval lid thing that you get on pub pies, and if you're just having a top attach it properly. I reckon shortcrust pies are better than puff.

May I just take a moment, as well, to concur on your fine qualities? :girl:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mmmmm pie. Pies are always better with a pastry base and top, but I'd rather have one with just a top than no pie at all. Having said that, avoid at all costs the horrible floating oval lid thing that you get on pub pies, and if you're just having a top attach it properly. I reckon shortcrust pies are better than puff.

May I just take a moment, as well, to concur on your fine qualities? :girl:

:biggrin:

Definitely has to be shortcrust for me too, though thanks beastie.

I'm thinking just a top will be much simpler for a simple soul like me.

I have a recollection about blind baking?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
:biggrin:

Definitely has to be shortcrust for me too, though thanks beastie.

I'm thinking just a top will be much simpler for a simple soul like me.

You certainly dont need to blind bake anything if you're only doing a top.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You certainly dont need to blind bake anything if you're only doing a top.

Yes, sorry, I meant to imply that for the sake of simplicity a top only may be better and also avoid having to poke my eyes out with a sharp spatula.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Have a look in the guide dog thread... I knew they were clever, but...
ohmy.gif

Noodley

Add some leek as well as the chicken and mushroom, and make a nice thick creamy sauce with some tarragon chopped in.
And shortcrust top only, to keep it simple for you.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Add some leek as well as the chicken and mushroom, and make a nice thick creamy sauce with some tarragon chopped in.
And shortcrust top only, to keep it simple for you.

I was thinking of using a tin of crap tinned chicken soup for the sauce. Good or bad idea?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Jump on the bike, 5 minute ride to Greggs, dismount and lock up bike, enter shop, buy a couple of chicken and mushroom pies. Exit shop and unlock cycle, proceed to cycle home, slight detour to stop off at the local pub for a liquid refreshment, lock up bike, enter pub. Stagger from pub after some elapsed time and curse and swear as you attempt to unlock cycle.

Wobble all over the road on the return journey, causing as much inconvenience to motorists as possible before arriving at what looks like your house. Enter home with cycle and squashed pies in hand, stick the remains of said pies in a warm oven for 10 minutes, remove from oven once the smell of burning become intolerable. Now serve charcoaled remains of "I don't know what the hell it is" to the now returned Mrs while you go for a nap on the sofa.

Couldn't be simpler

Top Bottom