Malaria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another vote for Malarone - we took it in Tanazania and had no problems. A few years earlier in Ethiopia I developed flu like symptoms. The doctor said it was a malaria and gave me some Fansidar (huge pills) - it cleared up in a couple days.

I was offered Malarone for my trip to India but the expense put me off, as I was only there for a short time I just took some standard quinine based ones with no ill effects. It did sound like a good option. If I was going for a longer time then I'd go for that one. Despite my best efforts I still got bitten by the mozzies so anything that helps IMO is a good thing.

cyclebum

Hi Cathryn,;)
I read your link with interest on 2 levels. firstly I am going to Rajisthan in Feb cycling (charity ride, your not doing the same are you/) and secondly I was a practice nurse and 1 of my interests was travel health.
Much as I am dreading them myself, anti malarials are a must in India. There is only Chloroquin plus Proguanil that can be taken of which 1 is 1 a day and the other is 1 a week. To those who mentioned other tabs they are not suitable here. It is all down to the resistance of the pescky blighters to the medication. The main problem with these particular meds are tummy trouble, I have been told that taking these 'friendly bacteria' regularly before going can help and in fact I have just started them this week. It is not relevant that you see any mousquitoes and it only takes 1 bite. Malaria is caused by a parasite which is injected by the moussie and it then can lie dormant for months in the liver where it can do a lot of damage. This is why it is important that you continue to take your medication for 4 weeks after your return. You are playnig Russian rulette if you don't as malaria can kill and this is often underestimated by many people. You can actually be affected I think it's up to a year after your return, so any flu like symptoms should be reported immediatly to your GP. A blood test can verify it and I myself would rather do that and be told its only flu, than to ignore it and find myself seriously ill, as I'm sure would any self respecting GP.
Also remember to only drink bottled water that you have broken the seal on, no ice, clean teeth with bottled water, avoid salads unpeeled fruit and shell fish. Otherwise I hope you have a great time!!
If you want to know more I would be happy to help.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
cyclebum said:
Hi Cathryn,;)
I read your link with interest on 2 levels. firstly I am going to Rajisthan in Feb cycling (charity ride, your not doing the same are you/) and secondly I was a practice nurse and 1 of my interests was travel health.
Much as I am dreading them myself, anti malarials are a must in India. There is only Chloroquin plus Proguanil that can be taken of which 1 is 1 a day and the other is 1 a week. To those who mentioned other tabs they are not suitable here. It is all down to the resistance of the pescky blighters to the medication. The main problem with these particular meds are tummy trouble, I have been told that taking these 'friendly bacteria' regularly before going can help and in fact I have just started them this week. It is not relevant that you see any mousquitoes and it only takes 1 bite. Malaria is caused by a parasite which is injected by the moussie and it then can lie dormant for months in the liver where it can do a lot of damage. This is why it is important that you continue to take your medication for 4 weeks after your return. You are playnig Russian rulette if you don't as malaria can kill and this is often underestimated by many people. You can actually be affected I think it's up to a year after your return, so any flu like symptoms should be reported immediatly to your GP. A blood test can verify it and I myself would rather do that and be told its only flu, than to ignore it and find myself seriously ill, as I'm sure would any self respecting GP.
Also remember to only drink bottled water that you have broken the seal on, no ice, clean teeth with bottled water, avoid salads unpeeled fruit and shell fish. Otherwise I hope you have a great time!!

My doctor recommended Malarone as the only suitable option as resistance was generally lowest to it and I was in a very high risk area (Mozambique) ?
Docs, you can't trust 'em lol

Cheers

Chris ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have been spending a fortnight in Nigeria three times a year for the last 22 years. I have never had malaria but I have had some unpleasant and inconvenient amoebic gut infections. Tummy problems are 100% CERTAIN if you are going cycling as you will be snacking at roadside cafes - that said, it's better to eat food that's quickly prepared and eaten than food that's been sitting around warm in hotel kitchens.

Malaria: I take the Boots combined weekly Chloroquin and Proguanil blister pack as it's convenient and if the worst happened, I could at least claim to my employer, insurance company, wife, doctor etc that I had been taking something. However this regime is apparently not much use nowadays; I have tried Lariam and it gave me cloudy vision. As always the best advice is not to get bitten; I always cover my arms and ankles with a DEET product when going out in the evenings, even if staying within a 5 star hotel. I carry a can of insecticide and I flit the bedroom or get housekeeping to do it if I have any doubt. You can buy this from local shops as you travel around.

The attitude amongst some expats I know in Nigeria is that they would rather know they have malaria so that they can treat it with successively stronger drugs, leaving pure quinine to fall back on as a last resort. My doctor gives me a course of Doxycycline to keep with me at all times in case I suspect I have malaria. You need to treat it seriously and take local advice.

Stomach: as I wrote above, you WILL get a tummy bug, it's as sure as night follows day. Take all the usual precautions but carry with you something like Flagyl or Ciproflaxacin to deal with the amoebae. Also take loperamide hydrochloride, available as Diareze or Imodium, amongst other names, to deal with the symptoms. Also take some oral rehydration salts as these really help if you have a bad case of the trots. Carry a sachet of antiseptic skin wipes for hands and bottom as diarrhoea always strikes in the most inconvenient places and some petroleum jelly in case your rear end gets really sore. Believe me, I've been there. Just recovering today from a bout of dysentery in the Middle East in fact.

Have fun!

cyclebum

Panter said:
My doctor recommended Malarone as the only suitable option as resistance was generally lowest to it and I was in a very high risk area (Mozambique) ?
Docs, you can't trust 'em lol

Panter, Malarone is probably the most user friendly one there is and it is fine to use through most of Africa, and off the top of my head Mozambique is covered. Unfortunately it has no effect in India as the parasites are resistant to it

cyclebum

I have just double checked on antimalarials.

Panter - yes malarone is probably the best to take for Mozambique.

Cathryn - Dehli and Agra are actually in a low risk area and theoretically you could be OK. I will be Cycling into Jaipur and this moves into a higher risk area where antimalarials would be reccommended. Altitude can have an effect and meds are not neede above a certain height (I think it is 2200ft above sea level) but you have to consider the time spent below this and take into account that tabs have to be taken for a set period before you enter the risk area, and for a time after you leave. The other thing to consider is are you traveling through rural areas. Dusk is usually the critical time of the day. when long sleeves and trousers are reccomended, and spray all exposed areas with a deet based spray. Of course you could do this without taking any medication but it is not as effective.
Also, sorry guy but gin and tonic will only work if your a dedicated alcoholic, and I mean big time.

There was a thing in the Guardian last week about mosquitoes in the globally warmed south which warned that if we start bringing malaria back it could get into the native stock... at least I think that's what it said, it was one of those tabloid-style 'WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE' special health reports. ;)

Be very careful with lariam/mefloquine! I ended up flat out in bed for 10days after taking it with severe nausea/dizziness everytime I moved. Couldn't even go to the loo by myself and thought I had ended up with permanent brain damage. It was the absolute worst I've ever felt and I would rather not take anything than take that stuff ever again...;) The other stuff I had taken before that (can't remember the name, something with P...) was absolutely fine tho...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Malaria is almost certainly already in the South East. It's just not yet there in sufficient numbers of people or mossies to present a threat.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks everyone for the very interesting info and debate. I am confused now, but am suitably convinced I will take anti-malarials. I'm going to do some more dwelling on the info on the thread, and go and get a couple of second and third opinions from chemists this lunchtime. But thanks, it's been a fascinating read.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
Hi Cathryn,;)

Cyclebum, no charity here...just us on an organised trip!!! Should be fun though. I suspect we're doing a pretty similar itinerary as well. Can't wait, although admittedly nervous now about the malaria stuff!!!!

Top Bottom