[Manchester] Are Finglands Buses REALLY bad lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Manchester commuters, I wondered if you've been have problems with this particular company's drivers lately?

They seem less patient, and more aggressive than the other busses on the road at the moment - tailgating is very common (ime) and one of them nearly flattened me against the railings by the MRI today with a stupidly close pass so he could arrive at the next set of red lights 2 seconds quicker than me. It's getting to the point where I assume that any vehicle in their livery is going to be driven poorly - anyone else had the same experiences?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I was almost side swiped by one the other day and I was in my car. It was a two lane road, bus on the left me on the right slowly overtaking and due for a right turn ahead. With no warning the bus indicated and moved and I ended up braking on the other side of the road. Fortunately no oncoming traffic.

Another I saw was at a busy junction. I was in the minor road waiting at the traffic lights and the bus was on the major road stuck waiting for the traffic to move. The traffic didn't move but as the lights turned amber for the bus it shot forward and sat in the yellow box junction obstructing the minor road traffic from turning right for two more changes of lights.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They will be on timed trips at the mo as the student's aren't there so can't load up - noticed Magic Bus waiting at stops at present as they are up on time (I've been on the bus).

Fingland's busses are 'sh1t holes' - seriously old - like 20 years plus, smelly and sweaty without anyone on. Really budget bus trips... Seen one or two newer buses, but that's it.

It will be the pressure on the drivers I feel.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
John, why not either stick to the A34 after Parrswood run (turn right at Armitage Centre) to A34 then behind the hospitals and join Oxford road near the Aquatics Centre, or take Upper Lloyd Street - i.e. down the back of the Uni's (if you switch to that at Mossley St/Armitage) ?

I'd not ride Oxford Road...it's really bad...seen it loads from the bus...just wait till the students get back....argh !

simoncc

John the Monkey said:
Manchester commuters, I wondered if you've been have problems with this particular company's drivers lately?

They seem less patient, and more aggressive than the other busses on the road at the moment - tailgating is very common (ime) and one of them nearly flattened me against the railings by the MRI today with a stupidly close pass so he could arrive at the next set of red lights 2 seconds quicker than me. It's getting to the point where I assume that any vehicle in their livery is going to be driven poorly - anyone else had the same experiences?

I've noticed that Fingland's buses on the A56 through Stretford, Sale and Altrincham are quite often driven by dopey drivers who don't have much road sense. They are nowhere near as bad as a few Arriva buses of afwe years ago which were driven in a near criminal fashion in my opinion.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Not had the displeasure of the finglands then again i don't travel on any of the routes they do, although I do cross oxford road at booth street west every day, wave if you see me, blue bike blue top white crown ;)

dont mean to hijack this thread but any Manchester commuters reading this might want to try the critical mass ride a week tomorrow, its really nice and trouble free, not aggressive in any way and imo raises the cyclists image in a good light especially in light of recent Olympic wins.

domd1979

Veteran
I'd hazard a guess that they might be employing drivers that more sensible operators have sacked. Its usually the case when you get an independent operator with a load of crap drivers.

domd1979

Veteran
Just been aving a look at their fleet - not actually all that old - about 50/50 split between 1995/6/7 N/P/R-reg double decks and newer stuff built 2000 - 2008.

Doesn't stop them being badly driven I spose!

fossyant said:
Fingland's busses are 'sh1t holes' - seriously old - like 20 years plus, smelly and sweaty without anyone on. Really budget bus trips... Seen one or two newer buses, but that's it.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tharg2007 said:
i went past a newish one today on oxford road.
I shouted at him through his open window "YOU LEAVE JOHN THE MONKEY ALONE YA BASTARD!!"

Cheers, Tharg, you're a mate :ohmy:

Bizarrely (perhaps to restore the karmic balance) I had a super commute home tonight - it was dry, I encountered a larger than average number of considerate, skillful motorists, and the ones not in that small group were of the indifferent, rather than psychotically malicious variety.

Tharg2007

Veteran
sorry to drag this thread up again but had a run in with a finglads driver on the way home tonight, going down dickenson road towards wilmslow road, there is a traffic island half way down and despite me moving out he still overtook at warp 9 and then pulled in imediatly to get through the island, he then badgered a car by driving right up his arse with about 1 foot space, caught up with him at the lights and knocked on his door, told him he nearly squashed me to which he replied "nearly, NEARLY" as if not actually squashing me was ok. I then moved in fron of him and took a pic of him and shouted i would report him, he then pulled along side again and said "you know why? cos youre a twat!" . This guy was an agressive lowlife, he looked like he just came out of jail, he then tried to squish again but i just moved my bike onto the kerb as he went off again at warp 9.

I will report him to both the police and finglands, this guy is dangerous, he was just flying round like he was in a go kart or something not ten tones of steel.

Anyone else had anything similar?
how are finglands for complaining to?

thomas

the tank engine
Tharg2007 said:
how are finglands for complaining to?

If you want to have an argument with another road user, bus drivers seem to be the best to choose. From some experiences, they'll pull along side just to continue after their stupid mistake....or they'll be the most mouthy.

As for complaining, no idea about this company, but both First and Anglian Buses were useless! They really needed to be nagged to even get a fob off response. I've had some good replies from some companies, but because of my experience with the two bus companies I always sort of don't believe that they're being truthful. Which is obviously a shame!

AllThatJazz!

I agree. I've had some near misses both on bicycle and in car with this mob.

However, whenever I've been a passenger on a bus - I find that all drivers literally stamp on the brakes - and I find myself grabbing the rails to keep seated as a result.

purplepolly

Tharg2007 said:

Generally speaking, I've found stagecoach drivers to be pretty good and everyone else overtakes really close. There's really no excuse for that as the stagecoach drivers are in double deckers going up and down the A6 and the others are in smaller buses on less congested routes, but as soon as they have to drive a few hundred yards on the A6 they can't seem to cope. :blush:

Top Bottom