Manchester -> Blackpool ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Charity Ride with details here... anyone else thinking of doing this?

Myself and a colleague from work are doing it and I wondered if anyone else was up for a bit of a group session (ooerr missus!).

I'm hoping to do it in about 3 and a 1/2 hours (managed 3 and 3/4 last year stopping for a bit to wait for some others) and am planning on a 7.30am start so we miss the mass crowd who take over the roads at all speeds/directions.

I've still yet to book my place, but it'd be nice to meet a few from here and put faces to (user)names as well as having a good ride out.

Cheers.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'd normally be doing it with a few workmates but it's been kicked into the long grass this year......I'll keep an eye on this thread. Might do a there and back.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Smeggers said:
Can't do that one, but have you any experience of the Manchester 100K?

http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=181
Did it (the shorter one) a couple of years ago on my old hybrid.

I was cycling with a mate who was on a road bike (he left me for dust at times when overtaking slower people). He changed gear whilst just starting a climb from some traffic lights and managed to snap his frame when his rear derrailleur (sp?) moved into his wheel!! This was at the 20 mile mark and I ended up doing the rest solo on a blisteringly hot day... and didn't (stupidly) stop to refill my bottles at the rest point(s) thus ending up quite dehydrated with a nice layer of crusty salt around my face/neck. :ohmy:

Haven't done it since. :becool:

Smeggers

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Did it (the shorter one) a couple of years ago on my old hybrid.

I was cycling with a mate who was on a road bike (he left me for dust at times when overtaking slower people). He changed gear whilst just starting a climb from some traffic lights and managed to snap his frame when his rear derrailleur (sp?) moved into his wheel!! This was at the 20 mile mark and I ended up doing the rest solo on a blisteringly hot day... and didn't (stupidly) stop to refill my bottles at the rest point(s) thus ending up quite dehydrated with a nice layer of crusty salt around my face/neck. :ohmy:

Haven't done it since. :becool:
:biggrin:

I've never cycled that far (43 hilly miles last year is my max). Ive never done an organised event or even cycled in a group.

S*d it - Im going to enter!!!

Edit:L Bugger - no Im not - I'll be up a Lake District mountain on that day :smile:

PsychoRider

Über Member
i'm riding it Sharkey, so i wouldn't mind joining a group of some sort.... i did it in 3hours 20mins last year on a full suspension MTB so was hoping to beat 3hours on a road bike but to ride in a group is fine,i printed form off last night and was aiming for 8am start as i may have to ride to Manchester yet but 7.30 shouldn't be a problem,i'll post entry tonight.....see ya soon maybe...:smile:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
PsychoRider said:
i did it in 3hours 20mins last year on a full suspension MTB so was hoping to beat 3hours on a road bike
:angry:

Looks like I'm not as fast as I thought... or you accidentally got hooked onto the back of a car at some point! :biggrin:;)

3 hours for 60 miles of undulating route seems a trifle too much to aim for (20 mph average) for me... but I guess you could use it as training for your TdF entry! :blush:

My mate has now registered, as have I, for the 7.30 start - I guess we can try to keep up with you and if you start leaving us lagging then you can either slow down a bit or tag onto someone else's wheel who is doing more your pace.

Glad to have you along either way. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

PsychoRider

Über Member
(HANDS IN THE AIR):angry: My mistake, lmao Sharkey, I must of been dreaming when I typed that I think......I just checked my file and I did it in 4hours 1minute 38seconds......so I would like to beat 31/2 on the road bike..........well the dream was good while it lasted I even saw myself with the Maillot Jaune...:blush:

PsychoRider

Über Member
Are you planning to start the ride through the official start point or avoid the crowds by starting a little bit further ahead, I saw a lot of riders doing that last year?
Still aiming for 7.30am start? Reason I ask is I still haven't signed up if your all still interested doing it as a group?!!
If anybody read my Newcomer thread then you'll know what i'm talking about when I say my Tiagra lever still hasn't arrived:angry:;) so may end up having to ride to Blackpool on the big ring with only 9gears.......unless a miracle happens next week!!!

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Errr, I'm presuming the official start point - they started people off in groups last year (50 - 75 in each group IIRC) and the little incline from the start took out a few people... didn't seem to be too crowded, we just waited a bit to get the first of the bunch out of the gate and then followed on (mind you, it is a different starting place this year).

7.30 start - yep. My race pack arrived today and 2 chaps from work have signed up for the same time. We're meeting outside Jessops (I think) right by Albert Square... I'll let you know if that changes. I'll PM you my mobile number later next week if you are signing up. You'd be welcome to join us.

Unsure how your gearing would affect you - I only remember a couple of hills/inclines where changing gears was quite useful/necessary - most of the time was spent on the larger ring anyway.

PsychoRider

Über Member
Definitely signing up,the hardest climb i remember from last year was the one to the entrance of the park,but like i said earlier in the thread it was on a full suss MTB. If i lag behind least i tried to keep up and there'll be thousands along route to keep me company lmao:biggrin:
Gonna sign up online now!!!

PsychoRider

Über Member
Ok...just signed up...7.30am start....i'll find out where Jessops is don't know Manchester too well....so just awaiting the pack now:smile:

Top Bottom