map holder for audax events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You already have one attached to your elbow! (I've seen a couple of riders who use elastic bands to attach route sheets and/or maps to their forearms.)

I've seen several people who use a small piece of hardboard, plastic or stiff cardboard held on to the handlebars by elastic bands. The map or route sheet is held on that by a couple of bulldog clips.

Greenbank

Über Member
Really cheap:

Cut up a For Sale sign (or equivalent sheet of Correx), punch some holes in it and attach to the bars with zip ties.

Attach routesheet (in a plastic bag, or laminated) with rubber bands.

Other cheap option:-

Bulldog clips on the brake/gear cables (for those with Shimano).

ColinJ

Ah yes, I meant zip ties. I bought a job lot from the local flea market in about 6 different sizes. Several hundred for £1 - bargain! (And very useful too. I used to carry 5 or 6 with me on the bike.)

And in a plastic bag or laminated - for when it rains - yes!

TBH - I found the whole route sheet and map thing spoiled my enjoyment of the rides. I was having to think too hard to keep track of where I was, especially because the calibration of my bike computer often didn't agree with the organiser's. The further I went, the bigger the fiddle factor became. I'd read that there was a left turn down a side road after 164.7 km but have to add or subtract (say) 0.9 km from that number.

After a couple of 200s, I gave up and started using GPS and felt much more relaxed when I was riding. I just carry the sheets and a map for backup now in case the GPS goes wrong. (It hasn't, in several thousand km.)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
005-2-1.jpg

My garmin tandoori. (Curry container lid and rubber bands). maps and route cards laminated in plastic.

klickfix mapholders The mini mapholder from klickfix looks almost as good.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I made one today for tomorrow's event, it took me 10 minutes. A piece of thin ply wood, a couple of cable ties and an old bulldog clip.
image.jpg

image.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use an A6 clipboard tie-strapped to the stem/bars. It'll take A6 route sheets which I laminate and attach using a keyring round the clipboard, pulling them off as I finish the section.

Worked really well on my events so far and is small enough to be unobtrusive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Mine goes on my handlebar bag, it's made out of a clear document wallet and lashings of insulating tape.

ColinJ

I still don't get why everybody isn't using GPS now ... it is 2015, not 1915! :wacko:

You post here using a computer, tablet or phone on the Internet, so it not as though you don't 'do' technology ... :whistle:

Top Bottom