Mapping: how accurate?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fnaar, 25 Mar 2008.

1. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Hi, sorry to post something related to cycling (;)), but just wondering how accurate mapping sites are in terms of ascent and all that palaver? Reason I arks is cos mapmyride gives 1450 ft ascent on a 67 mile route I wanna try out, and another site has pretty much the same route mapped already with 3900 ft... shome dishcrepanshy.... !

2. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

If they are designed for southerners, they will exagerate the distance and the ascent, so that three laps of Richmond Park can be claimed to be the equivalent of a mountain stage of the TdF.

3. Maz

Maz Guru

but only if you ride over the speed bumps and cobbled paths.

4. Crackle

Crackle Pah

They all vary widely. I found Mapmyride to be nearer than Bikely and another (name forgotten) I tried. I checked Mapmyride spot heights agains a map and it seemed roughly right. On rolling roads with short up and downs it will underestimate though, it's better on longer climbs. I have no idea how accurate any of them are compared to reality though.

Edit: Here's my post previously http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5711

5. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Incompatible with a claimed average speed of 45.6 mph. ;)

6. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

Your missing a 1 - its 145.6 mph :biggrin:

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Was that total above sea level or perhaps total up and down?

8. OP
    OP
    Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

It was total ascent....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice