Mapping: how accurate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi, sorry to post something related to cycling (;)), but just wondering how accurate mapping sites are in terms of ascent and all that palaver? Reason I arks is cos mapmyride gives 1450 ft ascent on a 67 mile route I wanna try out, and another site has pretty much the same route mapped already with 3900 ft... shome dishcrepanshy.... !

Fnaar said:
Hi, sorry to post something related to cycling (;)), but just wondering how accurate mapping sites are in terms of ascent and all that palaver? Reason I arks is cos mapmyride gives 1450 ft ascent on a 67 mile route I wanna try out, and another site has pretty much the same route mapped already with 3900 ft... shome dishcrepanshy.... !

If they are designed for southerners, they will exagerate the distance and the ascent, so that three laps of Richmond Park can be claimed to be the equivalent of a mountain stage of the TdF.

Maz

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
If they are designed for southerners, they will exagerate the distance and the ascent, so that three laps of Richmond Park can be claimed to be the equivalent of a mountain stage of the TdF.
but only if you ride over the speed bumps and cobbled paths.

They all vary widely. I found Mapmyride to be nearer than Bikely and another (name forgotten) I tried. I checked Mapmyride spot heights agains a map and it seemed roughly right. On rolling roads with short up and downs it will underestimate though, it's better on longer climbs. I have no idea how accurate any of them are compared to reality though.

Edit: Here's my post previously http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5711

Dave5N

Über Member
Fnaar said:

Was that total above sea level or perhaps total up and down?

Top Bottom