March 3rd 2021 budget.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Wipe out debt completely and start again. It won't affect those who are already wealthy.
One persons debt is another persons asset. For example if you cancel all the mortgage debts then the banks will need bailing out. Cancel all car finance debts then the car manufacturers will need bailing out. Not to mention the £1.50 Bill down the road owes me for delivering him a chip butty the other day.

This idea does not even work in theory let alone reality

Last edited:
One persons debt is another persons asset. For example if you cancel all the mortgage debts then the banks will need bailing out. Cancel all car finance debts then the car manufacturers will need bailing out. Not to mention the £1.50 Bill down the road owes me for delivering him a chip butty the other day.

This idea does not even work in theory let alone reality
I hope they don't do it until I take out a loan to buy an new Jaguar i-Pace.

Chislenko

Being a frequent driver on the continent one thing that has bugged me for years is paying tolls / buying a vignette to drive on European motorways whilst all and sundry come here and drive on UK roads for free.

I realise the counter argument that it would increase haulage costs and therefore prices in the shops but let's get some money off them anyway.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
Being a frequent driver on the continent one thing that has bugged me for years is paying tolls / buying a vignette to drive on European motorways whilst all and sundry come here and drive on UK roads for free.

I realise the counter argument that it would increase haulage costs and therefore prices in the shops but let's get some money off them anyway.
What?

Chislenko

I thought it was straightforward, introduce a vignette system for foreign vehicles to use our roads thus bringing some money into the economy to pay for the wear and tear they cause on our roads. Don't really know any other way to explain it.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
I thought it was straightforward, introduce a vignette system for foreign vehicles to use our roads thus bringing some money into the economy to pay for the wear and tear they cause on our roads. Don't really know any other way to explain it.
While I'm generally in favour of making driving prohibitively expensive, have we not done enough recently to tell foreigners to fark off?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That should make sure less of those foreign vehicles, probably driven by foreign drivers, probably containing foreign goods, from using up our British tarmac.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My company imports from Europe. Some European haulage companies are refusing to send lorries over to the UK because their drivers had been spending days parked outside Dover waiting to get back. Instead of using curtain-sided lorries bringing over partial orders (one curtain sided lorry can deliver to multiple addresses), we have to make up the order to a full container and have it shipped from Rotterdam to Felixstowe and then collected from there. Except the queues to offload at Felixstowe are horrendous (meaning ships from the Far East divert to Rotterdam where cargoes are unloaded then re-loaded onto smaller ships to take to the UK) so there's even more delays.

As Boris Johnson said - fark business

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
That should make sure less of those foreign vehicles, probably driven by foreign drivers, probably containing foreign goods, from using up our British tarmac.
Coming over here, stealing our benefits, taking our jobs, seducing our women, driving on our roads.

Edwardoka

Prolix Maximus

To paraphrase Charles Babbage I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a suggestion.

All those nice, well-surfaced, non-potholed roads they have on the continent, all those bridges and soaring elevated motorways and tunnels hewn out of solid rock, how do you suppose those get paid for? Is it only British drivers who pay for using continental toll roads? (Spoiler: no, no it isn't.)
Are the roads in the UK in the state they are because of European drivers? (Spoiler: no, no they aren't.)

TOLL ROADS ARE GOOD. VED and fuel duty don't even come close to covering the costs of motoring.

For example: every year without fail there is a major landslide on an arterial road not that far from here which causes a 60 mile diversion. Every single year, it costs public money to clear and repair, sometimes multiple times a year. The road is currently closed right now because it rained a bit over the past two days.

On the continent that road would have been replaced either by a tunnel or a sheltered half-tunnel decades ago. If they collected a toll on it, it would pay for itself in very short order. Instead, we continue to pay through the nose for third-rate infrastructure. Captain Vimes' Boots theory hard at work.

stowie

Legendary Member
To paraphrase Charles Babbage I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a suggestion.

All those nice, well-surfaced, non-potholed roads they have on the continent, all those bridges and soaring elevated motorways and tunnels hewn out of solid rock, how do you suppose those get paid for? Is it only British drivers who pay for using continental toll roads? (Spoiler: no, no it isn't.)
Are the roads in the UK in the state they are because of European drivers? (Spoiler: no, no they aren't.)

TOLL ROADS ARE GOOD. VED and fuel duty don't even come close to covering the costs of motoring.

For example: every year without fail there is a major landslide on an arterial road not that far from here which causes a 60 mile diversion. Every single year, it costs public money to clear and repair, sometimes multiple times a year. The road is currently closed right now because it rained a bit over the past two days.

On the continent that road would have been replaced either by a tunnel or a sheltered half-tunnel decades ago. If they collected a toll on it, it would pay for itself in very short order. Instead, we continue to pay through the nose for third-rate infrastructure. Captain Vimes' Boots theory hard at work.
Yep. The cost of the infrastructure would mean that just charging foreign drivers wouldn't make any / much money. It would have to be all drivers. Which is never going to happen. Because "war on the motorist" etc. etc.

Besides, suggestions around these types of revenue raising schemes won't be a drop in the debt and deficit ocean.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not sure why you are picking on the foreigners, our native UK drivers are the worst freeloaders of the lot, charge them for every mile or km they drive I say. It's more commonly known as road pricing.
It would be helpful to reduce congestion if the freeze on road fuel pricing was removed too.

Top Bottom