March 3rd 2021 budget.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is 'Rishi' going to be a thing, like 'Boris'? xx( And is anyone going to have a word with him about his trousers?
I've mostly seen Chancellor Sunak behind a lectern at press conferences, or sat at a desk in interviews. Has he not been wearing any trousers, then? Or was it unflattering Bermudas like Boris used to be snapped wearing?

Oldhippy

Über Member
Might be a puppet!

Reactions: mjr

lane

Veteran
According to the telegraph (paywall no link) reform of the cannabis laws could save £890m a year. This would be a drop in the ocean compared to tax revenues from legalising and taxing that and various other currently controlled substances. Can't help thinking this would be the least painfull way to raise lots of tax revenues.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
According to the telegraph (paywall no link) reform of the cannabis laws could save £890m a year. This would be a drop in the ocean compared to tax revenues from legalising and taxing that and various other currently controlled substances. Can't help thinking this would be the least painfull way to raise lots of tax revenues.
Plus the extra from all the chocolate hobnobs.

JBGooner

Über Member
Me too. As a way of maximising revenue the government could legalise cannabis use but make themselves the monopoly (legal) supplier.
I can't help but think there's a lot of money there and it's not as if legalising cannabis elsewhere has proved a health disaster?

NeverFromConcentrate

Cannabis is a billion dollar plus investment business in the USA. And if you do your homework you’ll find that Victoria Atkins was junior home office minister responsible for doling out licences to grow cannabis in the UK (yes, yours for an annual 3k ish for the THC containing varieties) whilst her husband just happened to be the UK’s largest medical cannabis grower.

Now, who would have thought????? 🤔

As ever, where there is muck, there is brass, and well fertilised crops!

In the meantime a hemp and CBD producing coop in Oxfordshire had their (3 yr) industrial hemp production licence renewal turned down in early 2020. I don’t think having met them any of them were accomplished Tory voters!

Edit: but I agree. Legalise, regulate, raise revenue and increase safety. Winners all round.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
They seem to be cooling on the idea of a windfall tax on the likes of Amazon who have profited from the lockdown. If the Budget is well received and the economy starts to recover well in the next year or so, I can see an autumn 2022 election with Johnson standing down and Rishi leading the Tories. Being PM doesn't pay enough for Boris, plus he looks knackered, whereas Rishi has very wealthy in laws so the comparatively low pay won't bother him.

NeverFromConcentrate

Aye, they will always throw an unpopular leader under the bus before an election. Labour could learn somethign from that! Helps the reelection chances. Slogans are never: "what we did for the country" but 'what the others might do to the country'. Project Fear some might say!

monkers

I'm still watching you ...
I'd scrap Trident, scrap HS2, scrap the idea of Boris's Burrow, and any other ridiculous Tory vainglorious ideas involving battleships etc. I'd ask to rejoin the EU so that we don't have that £39bn divorce bill, and that'll help to get business working again.

I'd advance the idea of international debt cancellation and forgiveness programme. I'd get rid of student fees before that debt mountain comes back to bite us on the bum at a later date. I'd reduce car dependency, spend more more on cycle routes and less on roads.

In the UK GDP is dropping like a stone while debt levels are increasingly at a stupid rate.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Last edited:

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
I'd scrap Trident, scrap HS2, scrap the idea of Boris's Burrow, and any other ridiculous Tory vainglorious ideas involving battleships etc. I'd ask to rejoin the EU so that we don't have that £39bn divorce bill, and that'll help to get business working again.
I don’t disagree with the thrust of this, but as I understand it the £39bn isn’t free money. We owe it whether we’re in or out, as it represents commitments already made.

Last edited:

monkers

I'm still watching you ...
I don’t disagree with the thrust of this, but as I understand it the £39bn isn’t free money. We owe it whether we’re in out, as it represents commitments already made.
thanks @newfhouse

That's a point worth noting. Presumably if we were in that would be an investment in things of our common interest. While we are out it's presumably not.

Top Bottom