Maribel Moreno tests positive for EPO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Exactly what the title says. cyclingnews.com

cyclingnews.com said:
Moreno travelled to the Olympics' host city of Beijing on July 30 with team-mates Anna Sanchis and Marta Vilajosana, and Directeur Sportif Mikel Zabala to represent her country in the road race (August 10) and time trial (13). The IOC tested her one day after her arrival, July 31. Before knowing the results, she left China the same evening – 22:00 – due to what she reported as an "anxiety attack."

"No one said it was an 'anxiety attack,' but she was crying and beyond herself. The team's doctor requested that she returned home and we expedited her return that same night. She was crying or sleeping 99 percent of the journey. The crisis was real," explained Bermúdez.

She released a statement on Saturday in which she apologised for her unavailability to the media and scheduled a press conference for today in Zaragoza. This morning the conference was delayed to a later day due to "low spirits."

It is a bit of an odd case, this. It appears she was tested the day after she arrived (which she surely knew would happen), then her "anxiety attack" strikes and she leaves the same day. I wonder if the panic attack was brought on by anything else or if she suddenly realised she was about to test positive and **** her career up (it seems too much of a coincidence). First-time use, maybe? I know that Riccò's case shows that the tests are not perfect, but surely of all the things to take EPO is one of the most commonly-spotted?

Whatever the case I suspect we will be spared the usual lies and denials. It is a great shame though, as I like her as a rider. She has been thereabouts this year but only has only had one elite win in the season. Maybe she thought the EPO would be able to "bridge the gap" for her at the Olympics. It looks like we will find out a lot more tomorrow.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

Top Bottom