Marmite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Outstanding. I have just found that Amazon sell Marmite on line. My procedure of 'charging' visitors a large jar of Marmite for board and lodgings can now stop. I have 1.5kg of Marmite somewhere in the mail system (unless the Italians regard it as dangerous goods!). So for all you expats and who are in the 'love it' camp, Amazon does more than electric stuff, check it out. I am a happy man tonight.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
icon_smile_tongue.gif

Maz

Guru
Outstanding. I have just found that Amazon sell Marmite on line. My procedure of 'charging' visitors a large jar of Marmite for board and lodgings can now stop. I have 1.5kg of Marmite somewhere in the mail system (unless the Italians regard it as dangerous goods!). So for all you expats and who are in the 'love it' camp, Amazon does more than electric stuff, check it out. I am a happy man tonight.
That's nothing.

I went on the Marmite website and bought myself a 46" plasma TV.

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
You're a man of taste Gavin. Food of the Gods

Suggest Marmite Cornetto's??
It would be better than the Nutella cornetto's that the locals seems to enjoy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Molto bene, mi piace molto il marmite.

p.s. and you can just throw the empty jars into the street in Naples I believe, Gavin!

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
Molto bene, mi piace molto il marmite.

p.s. and you can just throw the empty jars into the street in Naples I believe, Gavin!

Only 30 mins ago I did deposit my rubbish onto the street . I do not think there is a marmite jar in those bags. The bins have long ago disappeared under mountains of rubbish as the local dispute rumbles on. In many cases, the rubbish has closed the inside lane on many roads leading to yet more traffic problems in a city with traffic issues. A local friend was explaining the rubbish problems - he tells me that the local mafia who run one of the rubbish disposal companies have forced their competitors not to bid on the disposal contracts allowing them to set their own price with the local council. The council will not pay and the rubbish piles get higher.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Only 30 mins ago I did deposit my rubbish onto the street . I do not think there is a marmite jar in those bags. The bins have long ago disappeared under mountains of rubbish as the local dispute rumbles on. In many cases, the rubbish has closed the inside lane on many roads leading to yet more traffic problems in a city with traffic issues. A local friend was explaining the rubbish problems - he tells me that the local mafia who run one of the rubbish disposal companies have forced their competitors not to bid on the disposal contracts allowing them to set their own price with the local council. The council will not pay and the rubbish piles get higher.

I read about it yesterday - beware of the rats! Can't the black-haired lothario kick some butt? Oh no, he might upset his mafia mates. :rolleyes:

There was a story some years ago where the Napoli rubbish clearing cosa nostra were charging extra for toxic waste removal and then dumping it in the countryside thereby contaminating the buffalo mozzarello. Did it get resolved and is it safe to eat yet?:eek:

I read this some years ago which is a damning indictment of the machinations of Silvio and his ilk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Heart-Italy-Travels-Through/dp/0571205925

Well worth a gander if you haven't read it Gavin but don't get it out a tavola sipping a cappuccino!

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
I read about it yesterday - beware of the rats! Can't the black-haired lothario kick some butt? Oh no, he might upset his mafia mates. :rolleyes:

There was a story some years ago where the Napoli rubbish clearing cosa nostra were charging extra for toxic waste removal and then dumping it in the countryside thereby contaminating the buffalo mozzarello. Did it get resolved and is it safe to eat yet?:eek:

I read this some years ago which is a damning indictment of the machinations of Silvio and his ilk

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/0571205925

Well worth a gander if you haven't read it Gavin but don't get it out a tavola sipping a cappuccino!

Rich, thanks for the link. I must check that one out. I have noticed that it is unwise to openly criticise Silvio amongst Italians. He does seem to have a strong following around here.

The buffalo mozzarella has been contaminated. We eat it quite regularly and get it from a reliable source. I am told that the dodgy stuff had a funny blue tinge to it although I have not seen any. The bufallo farm we get our mozzarella from is very close to the house and thankfully there is no evidence of illegal dumping in the area.

Rats are an issue here. But, as there is no rubbish collection from the houses, we dump it at specific location at the side of the road. We are quite fortunate that the nearest one is about a km away - so no rats close to us. One of my colleagues has one near his flat and he tells me that the rats are becoming a real problem.