1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marseille to Bilbao - wind

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by dragon72, 22 Jun 2008.

1. dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

Am I mad to try Marseille to Bilbao what with the prevailiing winds?
    I was originally thinking of Med to Channel, but now am tempted to try a bit of Pyrenees action.
    Can anybody tell me whether the wind will be a chore if I try the Marseille to Bilbao route?

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Not too sure of the wind direction, but your route seems to be a straight east-west. I assume you're going Marseille, Beziers, Toulouse, Pau, San Sebastien, Bilbao, or as near as damn it.
    Again, it depends on when you go. I did a north-south through France (through the Rhone Valley) in December a few years ago and there were strong (east-west) winds only when I got to the south of France.

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I've just done Toulouse to Beziers to Aix en Provence and the wind was against us for most of the trip...so if you were heading west, you should be fine!!

4. Cathryn

Is that you on Crazyguy with the forthcoming trip from Marseille to Bilbao?

5. OP
    OP
    dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

yep, that's me!
    I'm also the one whose students got groped in Carcassonne...

6. Cathryn

Aaaah!! It's all falling into place now ;)

7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Mind those branches! ;)

8. Cathryn

You're funny, Viking, funny...

9. Tony

Tony New Member

I have ridden the area quite a bit, and in both directions, and always seem to have a head wind. Even when riding round three sides of a square.....