Martial Arts Experts - Clubs ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son does Karate at school, and has progressed to blue belt.

The only problem with it, is that the kids are doing the same thing, over and over again, and don't seem to be progressing to other stuff. This is mainly due to it being a 'mixed' group. It is taught by an instructor from a club. Other than this it's OK.

A different club came round (to the house) yesterday, and is opening a new class very local to us - literally at the bottom of the road. It's on a Saturday am.

Anyway, I was happy to go ahead with it, to see how he goes for the next few months - I'd be taking him, but I've had grief from the missus, who didn't like the idea that we paid £25 for a licence (cash).

Now I've checked this up, and most clubs require you to pay for a licence for insurance reasons - this is correct isn't it ? We don't with school as it's through school, and the LEA.

My wife was 'overly suspicious', but I'll be staying for the first lesson to way it all up. You only pay when you go, which is good for us at the minute as about 3 of the weekends in the next 4-5 weeks we've already got stuff on. You can trial the club for about 12 weeks. The club are happy for him to continue through school, even though it's a different club.

Is she being too suspicious - the grief I've had is crazy... I thought it was worth a go - if he's not happy in a couple of months, all I've lost is the £25 'insurance' and the 'class' fee (£6 per time).

Any experts out there ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fossy

Both my two did judo for several years. They attended a club, and from the age of 8 had to be licensed. You get all sorts from the licence, insurance etc, and you have to have a licence in order to compete at external competitions. It is also a prerequisite for grading.

At a club the kids will progress properly, particuarly if your child's discipline requires them to fight to be graded (judo does) and if they show an aptitude, or the right approach to learning and fighting, then they will be mentored or coached better.

You need to be honest with yourself and the child. Are they likely to want to enter and win competitions, or do they or you simply want them to be competent and confident in a martial art? Both of mine started to show signs of not enjoying serious competitions, and eventually gave up to concentrate on competitive swimming. I was disappointed, especially as both of them did well at it, but it just didn't hold their imagination as much as the swimming did. Nothing lost though, neither ever let themselves get pushed around or physically bullied.

School-based martial arts are a bit nefarious. The classes are all a bit "nice" and suit those who want to do it for recreation. Clubs can be like that, but your child's aptitude and drive/ambition/competitive nature will be properly explored and catered for in a club.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We'll give it a go... he did a competition when he'd just started. I just think he needs be able to see what he thinks/feels about it - it's his call !

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

They did, but after going through everything. Came round early in the day, had a quick chat, then came later with the forms. Limited places though. It's a big club, so I wasn't too worried, and had checked out what he had said against the web - that's what got my wife thinking though........... We know many of the 'other' families that have signed up too.

ah right, well that seems fine.

hope it turns out to be a good club, i know they can be a mixed bag. many are still the old up and down doing endless repetitions of kicks and punches (not at all good for the joints!) but some are a little more progressive and vary things, using pad work etc, while still getting the basics across.
i know i really enjoyed my karate career, there really is a lot to be gotten out of the martial arts, so i wish ya lad all the best with it.

cheers,

velocidad.

Jim_Noir

Yeap the £25 is insurance, all clubs should ask for this.

Can I ask why you get them to do Karate?My folks did the same as me when I was a kid, got a black belt at the age of 14. Then joined a boxing gym and got a real lesson on defending yourself... IE I got a right battering from a lad I was sparing with. IMHO a lot of karate clubs* are aimed at kids, not a bad thing as it kids you are sending, but it is all basic stuff. If it's wanting them to be able to defend themself then judo or Ju Jitsu would be worth a look... then if they really want something for fitness and they want to compete then boxing or Muay Thai.... Or get them into MMA send them to the USA to amke you big bucks ;)

*There are some very good clubs outthere that teach karate so I am not bad mouthing it, just I see clubs that are mostly all kids getting the same lession week in week out by overweight unfit sensi... Bruce Lee once said never take a lesson from a sifu that has a buddah tummy!

And if you don't think Muay Thai is for kids then check this lad out: http://www.caledonianmuaythai.co.uk/jordancalder/

Bigtwin

£25 and £6 a pop? Sounds pricey to me.

Could get a big box of knives and a couple of shooters for that round here.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Whats wrong with the Oriental bonsai tree trimmer/janitor that lives next door? he will fix your sons BMX then teach him the crane!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Heh..heh..... it all started with school....son enjoyed it - more about 'listening', following instructions - something he still can't be arsed about. He is a very clever lad, very artistic, mechanically minded, good reader, great at maths, but if he's not bothered, it doesn't happen.....

It's not something I've ever done - I was into bikes.....and the fella said.."oh dad you can join" - "No way, I am a cyclist...my knees aren't getting any knocks"...

He loves his bike though, but he does seem to enjoy Karate - we'll see how it goes.

Jim_Noir

That was the main eason my folks put me into Karate, I didn't listen at at school and only intrested in art. Sadly for them they didn't know it was going to become a life obsession and me thinking I could live my life like a samurai ;)

Top Bottom