Mary Townley Loop - Sat 19th Sept 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
So after a bit of chatting a date has been set, we will probably be starting near hebden bridge.

Who's coming then?

trio25
ColinJ
Shaun
red

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
;) me. easy to spot , fat lad at the back on a worn out scott genius

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
shauncollier said:
:ohmy: me. easy to spot , fat lad at the back on a worn out scott genius
Possibly chatting to me - another fat lad. I will be on my newly refurbished Rock Lobster, except on steep technical downhills when I will be walking! ;)

rock_lobster_853_hardtail.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
trio25 said:
Glad you don't cost anything! So another one to add to the merry bunch!

Well I'm free. Whether I can do that brute of a rute or not, I don't know. Bring plenty of tissues to mop my tears, won't you:smile:

goodspeed

I'm in :biggrin: Turn down a chance to ride with a Brownbacks champ! not on your life :biggrin:.
Are you planning to get round in a specific time? cos i ain't got no lights :blush: well none good enough for off road; so I'd hope to be around the 10hr mark or quicker if everyones up for it.
I think there's another official MTL event comming up soon. does anyone know when? think it might be August but not sure.

ColinJ

goodspeed said:
Are you planning to get round in a specific time? cos i ain't got no lights :blush: well none good enough for off road; so I'd hope to be around the 10hr mark or quicker if everyones up for it.
I think there's another official MTL event comming up soon. does anyone know when? think it might be August but not sure.
If we set off at 08:00 we'd have 11 hours of daylight and even I could do it in less than that! I reckon it might take me up to about 9 hours including stops and I'm likely to be the slowest rider among us.

goodspeed said:
6 days before us and costing £18 more! :biggrin:

goodspeed

That's good, It'll be nicely churned up for us the following week:laugh:

OP
OP
trio25

trio25

Über Member
Brownbacks champion is just one of my many achievements...

...did I forget to mention I was charging for my company ;-)

Anyway I think the idea is to get round in the light, I know I have a reputation for long rides where lights are needed but the route for this one is in the public domain!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Count me in, assuming I'm not travelling in some exotic land. Already done it a couple of times but don't mind it for the craic.

BTW, if anybody wants to read a nice description of the route, a former riding buddy has one on his site, here: http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm

Ian describes it c/clockwise but the recommendation is to to it clockwise. Find Ian's map and click on the numbers for a taste of the quality of the scenery.

ColinJ

Rigid Raider said:
Count me in, assuming I'm not travelling in some exotic land. Already done it a couple of times but don't mind it for the craic.

BTW, if anybody wants to read a nice description of the route, a former riding buddy has one on his site, here: http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm

Ian describes it c/clockwise but the recommendation is to to it clockwise. Find Ian's map and click on the numbers for a taste of the quality of the scenery.
I found Ian's website years ago when I first heard about the MTL. It's a very good resource. Pity about the typo in the URL though, which he has never fixed!

I think that we are planning to do it clockwise. From what I recall of having done about 80% of it, it is definitely more rideable that way.

I'll still be walking down the steep rocky stuff though - you can see from the photo of my MTB (above) how high my saddle is. I always feel as though I'd go over the handlebars if I hit a big rock.

For that reason, I never ride down the official route from Blackshaw Head to Callis Bridge. There is an alternative bridleway down to Turret Hall which is more my kind of thing - switchbacks and good surfaces! It also brings me out closer to Hebden Bridge.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've never been a fan of the mountain bike, especially since one turned on me and fractured my sternum one time but I am aware of the need for one and the need to actually do something with it and this gives me a purpose.

RedBike

I'll still be walking down the steep rocky stuff though - you can see from the photo of my MTB (above) how high my saddle is. I always feel as though I'd go over the handlebars if I hit a big rock.

I've got the same bike. My saddle is also up rather high. - I will be joining you walking!

Top Bottom