Maryhill to RAH in Paisley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vavavikki

Hello!
I have been riding for a month or so and can mange over 20 miles in one go now (with my inhalers!).
Soon I will be working at the RAH and want to commute. I'm not sure about going through the tunnel( reading the threads on it here didint help!), I would like your ideas on how to get from the West of Scotland Science park to the RAH, what are the options for crossing the river etc.

Jim_Noir

Renfrew ferry vavavikki, that's how I get across the river. This is a nice way of doing it, rather than facing the tunnel, which I avoid like it's swine flu. And you get to see views like this:

The Ferry looking over to Renfrew from Yoker
picture.php

Looking east from the ferry
picture.php
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/picture.php?albumid=103&pictureid=583

It's only £1.20 each way and the operating times are here:
http://www.spt.co.uk/ferry/renfrew.aspx

I cycle from Partick to inchinnan on my commute and it is nice roads, I am on Nights this weekend so Tomorrow morn I will need to use the tunnel (wish me luck!). Your route once over the ferry would be up Pretty straight run up Paisly Road then Renfrew road... you never know why might see each other on the route one day and be filmed by Magnatom :smile:

For the record, the times I have used the tunnel it has been dead, but there is no way I'd like to be going through it when the "young team" are in ther buckfasted out their nuts as you would stand no chance of escape.

OP
OP
vavavikki

vavavikki

Thanks thats very pretty, possibly I can do the tunnel in the morning if I am starting at 7 and get the ferry back, will look into season tickets and stuff, I only get 3 pound 7p an hour so I would like not to spend much on travel.

Jim_Noir

I take it you are under 18 getting that amount of cash?

Your other way over is the Erskine Bridge, but that's going to add extra miles on to you. Or the Bell bridge, again extra miles. The south bound tunnel seems to have a security gate, Magnatom is the man to ask as that is the way he goes.

OP
OP
vavavikki

vavavikki

Minimum wage dosnt apply to student nurses cus our pay is a "bursary" now. Im 24, just have to be poor till we qualify and get a proper job! I recon I can save 40 pounds a month (foregn keyboard btw!) by cycling.

I was thinking the Squinty Bridge might be the shortest option after the tunnel and Ferry?

I tried to get a map of the Clyde crossings but couldnt find one!

Jim_Noir

Really? So you are training to keep the country going and the effers can't pay you a decent wage to do it? Shocking

The Squinty bridge is further east than than Bell's bridge, sure it's only about a 1/4 of a mile more, but still is another option.

OP
OP
vavavikki

vavavikki

Yeah, interestingly the wage for entry to the police force as a trainee (Constable) is 22,104 compared to 6000 for trainee nurses. Of course the police have a more psychologically challenging job and are spat on, p***** on and punched much more than nurses ;)

OK cool, that looks like a plan, I can go down the Kelvin to the bridge, will give it a test run soon.

While you are being so helpful..is it possible to cycle Clydeside from the Canal at Clydebank to the city Center? I tried but had to go on the road cus I coulndt find the path.

And one more thing! I take it there are cycle clubs in Glagsow that do weekend trips and stuff? Would be nice to do a weekends crazy camping in the hills or something.

Jim_Noir

Yes, but we know Strathclyde police do a wonderful job ;)

There are two cycle routes from clydebank to the city centre, but I am no expert on them as I stick to the roads. Along the canal you can go via the Kelvin walkway, the path is near the Wynford flats, this will take you down to the clyde. Your other option is to get onto NCR7 which is the old railway line that runs along Dumbarton Road, however I only use this to run one of my dogs when I'm on the bike, so I only know it from Glasgow Harbour to Yoker. If you go that way then you are a straight run to Bell's bridge via the clyde.

Not sure about cycle clubs (though I am a memebr of CTC but I tend to cycle on my own), though I have a flyer for Glasgow Uni cycle club that I picked up from the Stevie building (http://www.gucc.co.uk/) and plan to go along to the Critical Mass ride next week.

OP
OP
vavavikki

vavavikki

I can make it home to Bells Bridge in 30 mins, I will do the Paisley end of it on an early morning when the traffic is less hectic. I also found the railway line along the Clyde, maybe not the place to ride in the evening due to the neds but nice all the same.

And I have leaned what the blue signs mean! Thanks :sad:

Jim_Noir

Yes, that old railway line seems to be a nice place for neds, there do seem to be a lot of police patrols along it. The other morning I was on it with one of the dogs and there was a cop car sitting and further along the mobile CCTV unit, this was 6am mind you so a bit pointless. I am not sure, but once you are south of the river it's all roads to the RAH, but as said I am no expert on paths.

Are you doing any of the cycle week rides? There is a nice one next Saturday through along the Kelvin for the homeless http://tinyurl.com/luo34w

Jim_Noir

If you are intrested Critical mass is having a little cycle this Friday (and their normal one next Friday) for national bike week. If you use facebook add them, though the may not be to everyones taste.

OP
OP
vavavikki

vavavikki

Seems like something I should at least try once, interesting concept, it's a bit like a pride march i suppose, not protesting about anything in particular, celebrating and making our presence felt, well I will be at Edinburgh Pride this year so why not this :o)

Top Bottom