Mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Does anyone else have a problem using this word? I think it must be a result of my lower middle class upbringing that I find it very hard to call other people it.

yenrod

Every introduction to anyone in my working life etc...STARTS with = 'aright mate'.......

Gromit

Über Member
I hate it, I consider someone who I don't know, calling me by that name as rude. I am not their mate. Grrr

TVC

No problem among friends, but I have certain problems:

Women - I have a good female friend who habitually calls people mate and it just sounds wrong.

Shop workers - 'That's 20 pence change, mate' it should be 'that's 20 pence change, Sir' it's just polite.

Doorstep callers - 'Hello mate, don't worry I'm not trying to sell you anything' well, I'm not worried, you are trying to sell me something, and I am certainly not your mate.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I was buying rail tickets at a machine one Saturday with my son, and I said something to a very tall, middle-aged man and his adult son, I do not recall exactly what I said, but it ended in "mate", The father took exception, and retorted in a stuck-up voice - "I'm not you're mate, blah bla blah...". I thought okay c*u*n*t, but I did not voice my thoughts in front of my 15yr son!

potsy

Rambler
Have been called worse things than 'mate' so don't really see the problem tbh pal:smile:
It's the usual form of address up here though,at least among the scally types I know.

Greedo

not a term I use and not one I particulary like recieving either as mentioned by shop workers.

It is however better than the alternative of:-

Chief
Bud
Buddy
Mucker
Pal

etc etc etc

I don't use the word much except when talking to my Australian friend because she does it all the time - it's a word they use so I like to join in.

I think it's become one of those words that now mean the opposite of their original meaning in common parlance. ie you use it to establish some common ground around people who are not actually that familiar to you or if you feel uncomfortable in some way.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
I think it's become one of those words that now mean the opposite of their original meaning in common parlance. ie you use it to establish some common ground around people who are not actually that familiar to you or if you feel uncomfortable in some way.

Some people use it like that, although they always have done as far as I can remember. However, even when my friends call me mate, I find it difficult to call them it back.

gbb

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
I don't use the word much except when talking to my Australian friend because she does it all the time - it's a word they use so I like to join in.

Yes, but don't people sometimes look too deep. In a work environment, i call people (mostly) bud...or (occasionally) mate.
I also find myself calling the girls at work 'petal'...gawld knows why, but its just a term of endearment. Most (if not all) the girls respond well to it.
Its done simply because i'm a friendly kinda fella, relaxed if you know what i mean.
That said, i wouldnt call a stranger either...well, perhaps a stranger i met in work, but usually someone on an equal footing.
I certainly wouldnt call a stranger, out of a work environment any of the above....i think :biggrin::sad:

Top Bottom