Mavic Aksium + Shimano 10-speed - Spacer needed???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funkingbaxter

I've just bought a pair of Aksiums and the rear came with a spacer "to be used for 10-speed cassettes".

I have a spacer already, which came with the cassette when new, though it's slightly thinner than the one which came with the Mavics.

I can't figure out which spacer(s) I need to use; the thin Shimano one, the slightly thicker Mavic one, or both.

Help, please ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try with the none, will the locknut tighten the casette, then the next thin one, then the thick one, then both.

The locknut will go tight, but the cassette will still 'wobble' if you wiggle it, if you haven't enough spacers.

OP
OP
F

funkingbaxter

Fitted cassette OK; original spacer was a little loose, but seems to be spot on usng the new Mavic spacer.

Trouble is, the gearchange is no longer as precise as it was.

Is it likely that I have knocked it out of line, and should therefore be able to resolve it with a bit of cable adjustment, or is this likely so be a symptom of something more serious...?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's probably down to the new hub being slightly different - if you turn the bike upside down you should see the chain settle on the cassette slightly out of line or even brushing the next sprocket so as you suggest the cable adjustment should clear it up.

Top Bottom