Mavic aksium vs fulcrum racing 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fulcrums are flashier, but got Aksium's myself that have been great - both suffer the blooming specific spoke issue, but not aware of that many breaks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have Aksiums and for me they have performed well. No major issues to date. I have hit the odd pothole with them and they have stood up to it.

paddy01

Can't give a view on the Fulcrums but have used a pair of Aksiums for the last couple thousand miles and they're still true and run well despite frequent Devon potholes and my not inconsiderable bulk :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
I used both a couple of years ago, the Fulcrums felt as if I was riding through treacle in comparison to the Aksiums.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I have Aksiums on my summer bike and Racing 7's on my winter bike, I definitely prefer the Aksiums, they just feel lighter and climb better, though there's not actually that much in it weight wise. Both are good wheels though.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I have Aksiums on my summer bike and Racing 7's on my winter bike, I definitely prefer the Aksiums, they just feel lighter and climb better, though there's not actually that much in it weight wise. Both are good wheels though.

Do you think the difference is more to do with the bike your riding and the weather conditions? I know I always feel quicker on my summer bike than winter bike, I definitely climb better on my summer bike, but that's because I don't have my rucksack on like Monday to fri on my winter bike.

Rubber Bullets

Thanks, you couldn't start this topic last week before I bought my Fulcrum 7's? :smile:

I did get the 7's for £120 though, which is cheaper than I could have got the Mavics for, and right at this moment the money is important.

For what it's worth I do rather like them, they are an improvement on the stock wheels that came on my Secteur Sport, and that is what I needed, and they do look better too, which can't hurt :smile:

RB

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Right I've gone for some fulcrum racing 7 red, the reds going to match my bike nice, I know you've all said aksiums, but I've looked at the new range of aksiums and they just look at bit plain, I know I'm being a bit of a bike tart!

The other thing is I've got a set of aksiums, there the most expensive wheels I've owned, so I don't have much to compare to, but I've covered about 1500 miles on them, and last week a spoke nipple pulled straight through the rim, this has annoyed me to say the least as the bearings are smooth and only seen dry miles. I was going to buy a rear wheel, but because they've changed the look of them I'd have an odd set, i can't be doing that, ( I know bike tarting again) so I've gone for the fulcrum red, thanks for your thoughts, I'll post what I think of them when I've got them and been out on them!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Could I just chuck another into the mix? Shimano RS10's, I got these with my bike and want to know whether Aksiums are worth upgrading to?

I have both and the Askiums do feel smoother and a bit faster but not hugely, so it isn't a major upgrade, I would be tempted to wear out the RS10's and then get the Askiums or go slightly higher spec for an upgrade and keep the RS10's if you have a winter bike. I was quite surprised that the RS10's are as light as they are for the money. You can get them new for £80 to £90 the pair.

monnet

Guru
I've got RS10s. They're a fairly solid wheel but they roll terribly and the hubs are pretty rough compared to my Aksiums. I use the former for commuting so it's not an issue. I use the Aksiums for training and as spares for races. I think the difference is well worth the upgrade.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Got my fulcrums today, put them on tonight, they look good on my bike, matches in well with the red hubs, the aksiums I've got roll slightly better, and the fulcrums are a bit louder when free wheeling, I can cope with that for the look of the fulcrums. The aksiums I've got are the ones with the yellow and shiny silver decals, the new ones are not so nice I don't think. If they were I'd have got another set, but the rim failure has put me off a bit too.

I might take it for a blast tomorrow see how it feels on the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All I will say is....

Full wheel packages are great for weekend/race/training use - I do have Aksium and Ksyrium wheels in the stable (and some tasty hand builts).

BUT, the daily ride bike uses hand built wheels with CXP 33 rims. Why - I am through 3 rims in two years. On a similar quality factory wheel, it will probably cost me 2-3 times more. Oh, and to add to the confusion, I ride fixed in city traffic.... the brakes have to work HARD.

If you ride in a city, lots of stop start, all weathers, then handbuilt are cheaper long term.

Top Bottom