Mavic Askrium Spokes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlgorse

Hello

I have been trying to find a surplyer to get some spare wheel spokes for my Mavic Askrium wheels

Does anybody know where i can purchase any please and how much will these cost ?

Many Thanks
Carl

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I certainly can Carl because I had one of my Aksium spokes snap on a forum ride to Blackpool last year so I had to find a supplier. I remember putting a link to the company in one of my posts. Hang on... Here you go - PedalOn

NB There have been several different versions of the Aksiums and you need to know which one you've got. Read the PedalOn descriptions of the different types carefully and you should be able to work out which spokes you need.

You have to buy in packs of 4 so you will have some spares if you are just replacing one broken spoke. Price is £8 for 4.

PS I've just noticed that you asked for Askrium and as far as I know, there is no such thing! If you meant Aksium, see above!

If you meant Ksyrium, PedalOn do those too. Again, make sure you get the right ones - there were several Ksyrium models too.

OP
OP
carlgorse

carlgorse

I certainly can Carl because I had one of my Aksium spokes snap on a forum ride to Blackpool last year so I had to find a supplier. I remember putting a link to the company in one of my posts. Hang on... Here you go - PedalOn

NB There have been several different versions of the Aksiums and you need to know which one you've got. Read the PedalOn descriptions of the different types carefully and you should be able to work out which spokes you need.

You have to buy in packs of 4 so you will have some spares if you are just replacing one broken spoke. Price is £8 for 4.

PS I've just noticed that you asked for Askrium and as far as I know, there is no such thing! If you meant Aksium, see above!

If you meant Ksyrium, PedalOn do those too. Again, make sure you get the right ones - there were several Ksyrium models too.

Sorry about the spelling mistake it was early this morning :smile:

These are Mavic Aksium Race and are a flat spoke and are on my Cannondale Six - its the 2009 model so don't know if the wheels have changed since then .

Would just like a few spares incase anything did go wrong :smile:

I will contact Pedal on and many thanks for your help

Carl

ColinJ

One other thing... The spoke key on my multi-tool doesn't work with flat aero spokes. It has a channel in it which a round spoke fits okay. A bladed spoke only fits one way and when I turn the key it gets stuck. Make sure you have a spoke key the right size which works with your bladed spokes!

It is usually a drive side spoke that goes in the rear wheel because they are under much more tension than the non-drive side rear spokes or the front spokes. If you are going to carry spares, at least carry those.

I found that my rear wheel went extremely out of true with just the one spoke breaking. So much so that I had to remove my rear mudguard and brake blocks! It's the consequence of having a reduced number of spokes. Great for aerodynamics, not so great when something goes wrong.

One good thing though - the rear spokes on my Aksiums are straight-pull so I could take the broken one out and replace it without having to remove the cassette. I'm not sure if all the Aksiums are like that.

OP
OP
carlgorse

carlgorse

Bit off topic but how do you rate the Aksium wheels?

I really like my Aksium wheelset with Mavic Hubs and ive not really used any others some got nothing to compair but maybe Colin or SmokeJoe maybe answer your question

but if i was going to rate the ones ive got there would definelty get 9/10 :smile:

ColinJ

Bit off topic but how do you rate the Aksium wheels?
The spoke breaking incident didn't put me off because I got them cheap off a mate. He'd damaged the rear wheel when his mech went into the spokes. Unfortunately, he only replaced the broken ones and didn't notice that one other was damaged. Still, he paid for the replacement spoke (plus 3 spares) and fixed the wheel for me, so I couldn't complain.

The wheels generally seem okay to me. They replaced a good pair of handbuilt wheels that I'd used for 10 years. The old wheels had Mavic Open Pro SUP rims and the braking on them was great, even in the wet. Braking in the wet with the Aksiums has not been as good by a long way, and they squeal in the dry when braking hard. I haven't tried scrubbing the Aksium rims - they might just need a very good clean. I am also using cheapish replacement brake pads. They worked fine with the old wheels, but perhaps I should get better pads for the Aksiums to see if that makes an improvement. (That reminds me - I noticed the front pads were getting a bit worn on my last ride. I'll have to order some more...)

I think the Aksiums cut through the air better than the old wheels, but maybe that's just because I know they are supposed to! I don't have any scientific evidence to prove it. I suppose if I had both sets of wheels with the same type of tyre on at the same pressure, I could do some sort of roll down test. Unfortunately I buggered the hubs on the old wheels which is why I replaced them.

The best wheels I've used were my old Campagnolo Protons. They were really light but proved to be very reliable, even when I rode them weighing 15+ stone. Unfortunately, I neglected the bearings on those too so they need a major service now.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for the info colin. I am cycling on a budget and the Askiums seem good for the money.Also I like the idea of cartridge bearings in the Askium so the hub doesnt get damaged if the bearings fail.

Definitely shortlisted now I think.

ColinJ

Thanks for the info colin. I am cycling on a budget and the Askiums seem good for the money.Also I like the idea of cartridge bearings in the Askium so the hub doesnt get damaged if the bearings fail.

Definitely shortlisted now I think.
I definitely think they are great value for money. The other wheels I mentioned cost about twice as much as the Aksiums.

Alun

Guru
Colin, off topic again, but I've just replaced my original campag centaur brake pads with "Ashima" ones for less than £5 per pair. They seem every bit as good as the originals, hopefully they'll jast 3000 miles as well.

ColinJ

Colin, off topic again, but I've just replaced my original campag centaur brake pads with "Ashima" ones for less than £5 per pair. They seem every bit as good as the originals, hopefully they'll jast 3000 miles as well.
Hmm... The groupset on my Basso is the original Campag Athena (not the new one). It became Daytona and then Centaur. Trouble is, they changed the design of the shoes that the brake blocks fit into. I've bought blocks in the past which wouldn't fit.

Now where did I get my cheapo blocks from...?

Ah, I've just remembered - how does 4 pairs for £7.29 strike you!

As I mentioned above - they worked fine on my old rims. I'll clean the Aksium rims properly with degreaser and a scouring pad before this Sunday's forum ride and see what difference that makes.

(The blocks I linked to probably aren't the ones for my brake cartridges - I'll have to check. Mind you, I could replace the cartridges as well for a nominal sum.)

ColinJ

Okay, I was wrong about my Aksiums braking performance! :whistle:

I took a rag and a lot of degreaser to the rims yesterday and gave them a real good scrub. There must have been some kind of oily film on them because the rag ended up filthy. I did some braking tests with the clean rims.

Previously, on fast downhills I had to exert a death grip on the brake levers which resulted in a lot of screeching but nowhere near enough braking.

After cleaning, I could generate enough braking force from the hoods to bring myself to a very rapid halt from 40 mph. From the drops, I could brake easily using just my right hand index finger, just as I could with my previous wheels in fact.

So, folks - keep those wheel rims clean!

Top Bottom