McAfee??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I have just bought a new laptop computer and it has come with McAfee protection installed but only for one month. I only got it 4 days ago and they are now sending reminders and special offers to sign up for either 1, 2 or 3 years. Frankly I've never used them before and have almost always used Norton and being pressured to buy within 4 days is making me agitated.

Anyway to the point of the thread, has anybody used McAfee and if so can give a recommendation or otherwise of the product. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

potsy

Rambler
Like you it was on my netbook when i bought it,switched to kaspersky once the 3 months was up as I could get this free through Barclays Bank.I still get emails from Mcafee though with renewal offers even had one today.

buddha

Veteran
I keep a grand total of 16p in my barclays current account so I can get Kaspersky for free
smile.gif

potsy

Rambler
I keep a grand total of 16p in my barclays current account so I can get Kaspersky for free
smile.gif

I got 1p in a savings account and couldn't believe it when I tried for the offer and it was accepted
laugh.gif
and I got another year this time after initially thinking it was a 1 year only deal
thumbsup.png

Mark_Robson

I wouldn't recommend paying for protection at all. I use AVG, and Windows own firewall. There's free software available for all instances that will cover anything that a home user needs.

Hockeynut

Über Member
I can't recommend either McAfee or Norton after experiencing both.

Hows that? :becool:

I agree with this. Keep both of those off your machine and experience your computer back up to the performance it ought to be. They are big heavy programs which severely slow down your PC.

I've used Kaspersky and that was good, but since that expired I just use Avast free, and am very happy with it.

HN

Edit: Also check whether your ISP offers anything, like Virgin do.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Thanks for the answers and advice, I've now got to think about each one and decide which route to take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've tried 'em all, and after reading recommendations here, switched to Avast about a year ago. Big thumbs up! I really wouldn't recommend either McAfee or Norton - in my experience, they're bloatware, and cause as many problems as they solve.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Also, the free Microsoft Security Essentials is actually very good.

I kicked Avast off of my PC about 4 months ago just to give this a try out...very impressed so far.
+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials

If you aren't keen on Microsoft and can put with a nag screen (which can be disabled with a little digging) Avira has a very high detection rate, otherwise AVG and Avast are both very good.

byegad

Legendary Member
McAfee is a swine to fully remove. Go to their website for a removal tool otherwise it trips up the competition. I use paid AVG, they also doa free version. I think both McAfee and Norton use a lot of resources compared to AVG.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Avast for me - have tried other free software and none pick up anything that Avast has missed.

Have seen some really slow pc's - all down to Norton or McAfee. Avoid.

Top Bottom