MD80 Clone Resolution Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Evening All

Does anyone know if you can change the resolution the Plastic MD80 clones record in ? (Its set to 1080p) I intend to use mine as a rear facing camera mounted on my seat post but at 1080p I get less than 1 hour of film per 4GB card, so can I turn it down ?

Thanks

Gaz

BSRU

A Human Being
1080p, I have never heard of that before on a clone or a genuine MD80/Muvi, where did you get that from. The clone I have has nothing to change resolution, it is fixed, 720x480.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Wow - looks good! Do you have an eBay link to the one you bought?

Mathew

Sorry no, it was back in December, Its really really good quality but unless I buy a huge micros SD card then its pointless as I like to spend at least 3 hours a day in the saddle.

MJN

Do you recall the seller?

Sorry to be a pain - it's just that there will be clones and clones-of-clones and I'm sure a whole variety of quality variations between them all!

Mathew

Ben1982

The resolution of the file created

Sounds like you've got something upscaling to 1080p rather than it storing in 1080p. What does GSpot tell you in the pic (w x h) area when using one of the original avis?

Ben

g00se

Veteran
My MD80 clone does 720x480 (31fps). But the file size is the same. It's just something you have to live with, with the clone - it's hardly compresses anything. The Muvi and the real MD80 (metal) have better compression.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Here's a link to a page analysing various types of keyring cameras. Some of these share the same internal components as MD80 clones and it's clear that the ones that produce HD files are essentially faking it - just an upconversion to high resolution from a standard resolution picture.

Presumably only a question of time before real HD ones come out.

Link here

John

Top Bottom