Melbourne on the telly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

I can't find any info about the BBC, but British Eurosport will have live coverage of the final session between 0800 and 1000 on Saturday morning GMT.

It looks like Lizzie Armitstead, Katie Colclough and Jo Rowsell are the only Brits in attendance - hopefully they will carry over some of their good form.

Edit to add: The BBC's Red Button schedule is not listing any cycling coverage, unfortunately. There is a page here which has 2009's BBC listings - it says they will be showing the Beijing and Copenhagen rounds of the World Cup, as well as the World Championships from Poland and the Road and BMX Worlds, too.

No sign of coverage for this though, and I can't find anything for the Cali round in December, either.

Skip Madness

Two events entered on the opening day, two golds won. Rowsell took out the pursuit against Josie Tomic, while Armitstead won the scratch race thanks to Colclough's work on the front chasing down attacks (Colclough was eventually last of the finishers).

Tonight Armitstead and Colclough will presumably be going again in the women's points race.

claver58

Über Member
I remember the old days when, sometimes, a non-british person would win a world or olympic gold medal.......................[sigh].......................

Dave5N

Über Member
great result today. clearly the travel distance made it unfavourable for a strong British presence, but when you consider Jo Rowsell is not really in the top three British women puruiters yet still wins Gold (again), it just shows the class and depth amongst British track cyclists.

Skip Madness

Lizzie Armitstead apparently had a nasty crash in the qualifying round of last night's points race and needed eight stitches in her arm. Katie Colclough qualified and finished eleventh in the final.

The crash could jeopardse Britain's participation in the team pursuit later on (which should, with a bit of luck, be on Eurosport tomorrow morning at 0800 UK time), so even if Armitstead makes it to the start they will have a hard time winning it again.

Skip Madness

Yes. A super ride, too, although it looked touch and go from a kilometre out. Three golds out of four events, and who knows how well Armitstead might have done in the points race had she not fallen?

Given the small representation we have at an Anglophone country like Australia, does it seem safe to assume that GB will not be represented at all in Cali?

Skip Madness

Skip Madness said:
Given the small representation we have at an Anglophone country like Australia, does it seem safe to assume that GB will not be represented at all in Cali?
It looks like I was wrong - GB will have a team in Cali if this bit of information from the official website is anything to go by.

Skip Madness

As well as Team GB, Team 100% Me is also in attendance in Cali according to the latest news, which indicates a sizeable British contingent will be on the way.

Skip Madness

Just another update for anyone interested - this interview with Peter Kennaugh on the British Cycling website contains this bit of information regarding Cali:
Both Peter, and the rider he was second to in the British Road Race Championships, Rob Hayles, have been training hard at the Manchester Velodrome in preparation for the World Track Cup in Cali (Columbia) which starts on December 11. They will be part of a small team travelling to the World Track Cup, a team that will include some young female riders as well in Lucy Martin and Alex Greenfield.

Skip Madness

Peter Kennaugh has qualified for tonight's points race final in Cali.

Edit: He eventually took second behind Leonardo Duque.

Skip Madness

This page on the British Cycling website says that there will be five British riders in attendance in Beijing next week, all men:
read the interview[/URL"]) Rob Hayles, Peter Kennaugh, Mark Christian and Luke Rowe will be competing in the Endurance events and having been training hard for the event at the Manchester Velodrome and will be putting the final touches to their form at Revolution 23 on Saturday night. Of the five riders, two are from GB’s Olympic Podium Programme (Hayles and Newton) and the other three are Olympic Academy riders (Kennaugh, Rowe and Christian.
The programme runs from next Friday into Sunday. I cannot find any channel that will be broadcasting yet - this page on the BBC says they will be covering it but currently I can't see it in the schedules.[/URL]

Skip Madness

That BBC page I link to in the post above is now not displaying the Beijing or Copenhagen rounds of the World Cup - obviously they have no plans to show these.

Top Bottom