W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think with a Sturmey Archer hub you were supposed to ease off pressure or back pedal briefly as you changed gear.

I've got bikes where you need to pedal backwards to change gear, but they're from the 1930s (Vittoria Margherita) and 1951 (Paris-Roubaix) and there was Cambio Corsa (late 40s-mid 50s) in between, so I don't know if that fits in with your youth! :whistle:

RoMeR

Über Member
Someone put me out of my misery, don't know if I have remembered this or made it up!

When I was a youngster I seem to recall having a bike where you had to back pedal to change gear.

Was there such a system or is old age really getting to me!!!!
I seem to remember my first bike
Someone put me out of my misery, don't know if I have remembered this or made it up!

When I was a youngster I seem to recall having a bike where you had to back pedal to change gear.

Was there such a system or is old age really getting to me!!!!
I remember my first bike in the 1950's being a Raleigh, don't know which one, but you had to peddle backwards to change gear. So don't worry, you're memory is fine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, to peddle your wares is nothing new.

simongt

Guru
There was a bike designed; the make escapes me just now, where you pedalled normally for high gear, but backwards for low gear. Problem that the 'inventor' hadn't allowed for was of course that pedal backwards too much and your pedals come unscrewed - ! :eek: :rofl:
Having said that, the sprocket and chain arrangement was something to be admired - ! ^_^

I don't recall riding anything with back pedal gearshifts but I do remember doing skids (and coming off more than once as a result!) on a mate's Raleigh with a back pedal coaster brake. I think it was the Grifters that had that feature, and they weighed a ton.
It was the Striker John. Grifter's smaller brother. The amount of tyres that were worn through with the kickback brake!

Top Bottom