Meningitis ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's possible apparently :biggrin:

I've been suffering from a bug for over 2 weeks now. Headaches, sore throat and Yuck.

Went to the quack yesterday and was told - "There's a lot of it about". Seems tho' it could be related to meningitis :smile:. Hence the headaches. It's some viral thing (true menigitis is a bacterial thing I think) that gets into the meningis. Some folks have been hospitalised. :sad:

But I can't get over missing out riding my bike. And it should be my first sportive of the year tomorrow.

It's NOT fair. :sad: :sad: :sad:

As a young child I used to suffer badly with catarrh, which caused pressure in my head, causing me headaches. I had an operation on my adenoids, which helped a great deal.
Often if I have a headache now, it tends to be caused by a build-up of phlegm, but after an inhalation of Olbas oil or something similar, it clears up.

http://www.olbas.co.uk/allaboutolbas.html

Could be as simple as having clear airways!

wafflycat

Meningitis is the term used to describe the effect of inflammation of the membranes covering the brain & spinal cord. This can be caused by virus *or* bacteria amongst other things. If you had meningitis, you'd be in hospital - it's that serious.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you had bacterial meningitis you would be in hospital. It's very life threatening. My grandad had it and was reportedly never the same person ever again despite surviving.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I had something rotten bug this week that left me mostly bed ridden for three days with a head ache, raging sore throat and horrendous aches and pains all over. I eventually dragged myself out to the GP (while I was out to vote) and got antibiotics. I feel almost normal now. GP said there was definately a thing about that was getting throats sore along with other symptoms.

Definately not fair, I missed three good working days.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
wafflycat said:
Meningitis is the term used to describe the effect of inflammation of the membranes covering the brain & spinal cord. This can be caused by virus *or* bacteria amongst other things. If you had meningitis, you'd be in hospital - it's that serious.

Waffly - I haven't got menigitis but something akin to it I think (I ain't no doctor). Apparently its been in "most houses in our town" to quote my quack. Some folks have been hospitalised due to excess fluids/pressure in the meningis/spinal column but most are just sufferng with a nasty but non (life) threatening bug - there is a spectrum of nastiness.

And it's still NOT fair :sad: And where is your sympathy :biggrin: :sad: :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Commiserations 26x25

Not just me then.
I've had/got a sore throat/headache/achey thing too, not feeling really feverish, but been in bed the last 2 days just totally wrecked. The previous 2 nights I'd been in bed by nine and sparko.
Was planning a ride this afternoon with my buddy and just pulled-out, I'm just whacked-out. Bummer on such a nice weekend. Need to recover, got an 80 miler next w/end.

yep! You both have my sympathies. Also suffering. Time of year I think. What started as a mild cold has refused to budge. After initially keeping ticking over on the bike, I gave up last week. Hope to start again next week.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Fab Foodie said:
Commiserations 26x25

Not just me then.
I've had/got a sore throat/headache/achey thing too, not feeling really feverish, but been in bed the last 2 days just totally wrecked. The previous 2 nights I'd been in bed by nine and sparko.
Was planning a ride this afternoon with my buddy and just pulled-out, I'm just whacked-out. Bummer on such a nice weekend. Need to recover, got an 80 miler next w/end.

About half way thro my 2 week spell I thought I was OK (still had headache and "bruised" throat) so I went for a ride. I spent the next 3 days in bed.

So be warned - wait till it's gone before venturing far.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
twentysix by twentyfive said:
About half way thro my 2 week spell I thought I was OK (still had headache and "bruised" throat) so I went for a ride. I spent the next 3 days in bed.

So be warned - wait till it's gone before venturing far.
Will do!

Noodley

It must be a "national" bug rather than "local" - I had to pull out of a 400km ride today 'cos I have been floored with "something" for the past few days :smile:

I spent most of last night stemming the flow of blood from my nose, everytime I stood up it would start bleeding - I solved this by not standing up :biggrin:

It would appear to have gone now (or at least it's not anywhere near as bad as it was) so I am going to try to venture out for the club run tomorrow morning.

P.S. what's all this going to bed nonsense - struggle bravely on! You get more sympathy that way...

wafflycat

Oh Gunner, that is so very sad. :biggrin:

In my much younger years a cousing contracted meningitis and it was touch & go whether he'd make it. He was one of the lucky ones. But he always seemed 'delicate' afterwards.

Hugo15

Über Member
Think I have got the same bug too. Spent most of the last week in bed. I have just been so tired. Been getting a good 8 or 9 hours on a night, plus a few extra hours during the day and still been knackered. Haven't been on the bike for 10 days, but hope to get out for a gentle ride tomorrow.

Top Bottom