Merida Big Nine 40 D - Bye Bye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I was brought up with the "get the best you can afford" mantra.
That's "best" not "most expensive"
After all you want the tool to not only "do the job" but to "last" as well.
Buy cheap buy twice.

Ok, pics to come shortly. All built up, only fubar I managed was putting the front tyre on backwards. I know it probably makes little or no difference, but the thought of that 'rotation' going round the wrong way was more than my OCD could stand.
Then the kicker. Got astride it to set saddle height, with brakes hard on. Suddenly felt the headset move, rather a lot. Took off top cap and the star-shaped retainer below was torn in half. Underneath that was another star-shaped widget.
LBS job, never touched either sort of headset before, and I've no wish to make it worse.
All the more irritating when all else went so well!

Pics:
The removed chain tensioner.

The "workshop"

Front wheel done.

The singlespeed setup.

Shimano HG400-9 12-36t fitted.

Both wheels on.

Rebuilt chainset and all geared up.

OK, here we go...
Fork off...

The offending article

Remains of old star nut

New star nut in place - tool made this easy-peasy

Finished

I've stuck on some clip-on guards and lights and a bell, will go for a shakedown (and my first ride of this year) a little later.
Feeling quite pleased with myself having done this, but Ahead sets certainly are't terribly complex.
One day, I must do the Trek, that hasn't had a spot of grease anywhere since 2001...

A puzzling thing: Why are steerer tubes open to the elements? And would it be detrimental to plug them? Or would condensation be worse than splashes?
Anyhoo, I ran a greasy cloth through it before I installed the star nut, hopefully that will encourage moisture to run off.

OK, the test ride.
Nothing fell off, good start.
It feels so heavy. It's NOT particularly heavy, certainly no more than the old Trek, but the big wheels, even with the much smaller tyres I've fitted, have more inertia than 559/26". That and the heavy fork ( which I tried locked and unlocked) just make it, to me, a bit of a bathtub.
The bars are far too wide for my knackered shoulders. OK, that's a fairly easy fix.
The Hydraulic disks work very well, but not so very much better than the V-brakes on the Trek. Much better than the calipers on the Scott!
The separate EZ-fire shifters work well mechanically, but are ergonomically not good to me. I'm used to the fully integrated ST-EF devices, so much more comfortable.
Therre's a logistical problem, too. Both the Trek, the Scott, and even the old Pug mixte, can be carried up the staircase fairly easily. This one cannot.
I only know this now; it went up originally as a kit of parts.
So, I cannot keep it. I've got about £60 in it so far, not bad for a fairly recent bike in reasonable condition.
It still needs new cables, really. As all the mechs were still sttrung up together when I got it, I simply restrung them on the bike.
Finally, it's probably one size too large. It's a 19" which, according to current model sizes, is between L and XL.
Fun to do, though, and the gearing will get you up anything!
44-32-22, 12-36t 9-speed.
So, once I've had a think about it, it will be up for sale. As it was donated gratis by @iateyoubutler , I'll only be looking to recoup spend and time.

A short Muckynutz face fender will keep trail muck from being thrown up into the headset.

Also keeps the worst off your face.

Some MTBs have a plastic plug.

https://muckynutz.com/face_fender
I had an old set of Raleigh Flingers on, no problem there. They've served me well for over 20 years! the steerer tube thing was more an observation, what seemed a mecanical anomaly on preactically all bikes.

I will add to the above and say the cold was certainly part of it. My feet are still feeling it over 24 hours later. I thought about taking it out again today, but after a walk to the Post Office and back, I thought better of it. Am away for a week now, and it will be warmer then, so will get out again, probably in the rain!

Aiming to be out next week again on this bike.
We have come up with some plans to modify the living quarters a bit, which will mean I can have two bikes at home, one inside and one under a cover outside.
So, I will return the Merida to single-speed, and with @iateyoubutler 's blessing, will offer it free to collect as he did.
Then, try and fit 28s to the Scott. That will be tight.
Bring it up to 3x9, 52-42-30t and 12-36t using an Alivio RD-M4000 Shadow mech. Inside bike, and to make it really as unobtrusive as possible, it will need to go back to drops, so I'll be after compact drops and 3x9 Sora brifters.
The already 9-speed Trek will be the outside bike.
The Pug mixte will also have to go, so there will be two bikes up for grabs by end of March - gotta have that spinal surgery done first...

Top Bottom