Merida Big Nine 40 D - Bye Bye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was given this today by @iateyoubutler .
It's currently in kit form.
Thinking so far is to follow @iateyoubutler 's lead and not go for the singlespeed conversion. It's a 2014 model so far as I can tell, which gives it a 44-32-22 chainset and originally an 11-32 cassette. I'll go for a 12-36 cos I'm a wimp.
Future mods: rigid fork, slicks, TRP Spyres if I don't get on with the hydraulics. Narrower bars and riser stem; might lift those from the Scott.

Slick

Guru
Not sure why everyone goes on about TRP Spyres, as I eventually took them off my bike they were so poor.

Not sure why everyone goes on about TRP Spyres, as I eventually took them off my bike they were so poor.
Of all the mechanical disc systems, they appear to get the best reports. I'm not personally wedded to them; this will be my first disc bike, so it's all new to me. I'm also not actually enamoured of hydraulics on bikes, one step too complex in my opinion. This might change once I start to actually use a set!
:biggrin:

Slick

Guru
Maybe they will work better off road than I ever could get them to on it.

Good luck putting it all together though. :okay:

Despite the bike being what it is, off-road is not its destination. If I try the Devon C2C again, almost any bike will fare better than the 23mm-shod Scott did. Surprised it didn't shake itself to bits, so poor was some of the 'cycle' route!
So, what slicks might folk recommend? I'd normally go straight fir City Jets, but they're not made in 622 sizes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This was originally a hardtail mountain bike was it not?

An appropriate looking shallow tread tyre would be something like a Schwalbe Big Ben.

Not quite a balloon, but they do have some meat so look good on a mountain bike.

Good puncture protection, and the larger air chamber will help you handle those potholes on the C2C.

As regards the brakes, Shimano flat bar hydraulics are relatively cheap and famously reliable.

The hoses on the front and back kits are cut to length, so don't even need bleeding.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/big-ben

https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m29b0s443p7544/SHIMANO-Deore-Disc-Brake-Set

Venod

Eh up
Scwalbe G-One are good all round tyres they come in many different flavours, I have some 38mm that come up 40mm on the rim on my CX bike, that I ride on and of road, good off road and quick on, I have them set up tubeless and they are very comfortable.

Last edited:
New cassette and chain ordered. First task will be to remove the various single-speed adaptations. Next task will be to clean up and refit the derailleurs; then clean and rebuild the chainset, which might need some new bolts - will see what's there once I've stripped it down.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm pretty sure Schwalbe Land Cruisers are available in both ISO 559 and 622 sizes. From memory, the 622's go up to 38mm. They aren't slicks but they aren't as knobbly as a MTB knobbly tyre either. On tarmac they roll reasonably well, but grip well on muddy tracks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Land Cruisers are cheap and offer good puncture protection.

My local bike shop supplies them as part of a service package for riders doing the C2C (north version).

However, most mountain bikes have wide rims, designed to take two inch or wider tyres.

There is a fair bit of leeway, but a narrower tyre may not sit well on the rim.

Land Cruisers are cheap and offer good puncture protection.

My local bike shop supplies them as part of a service package for riders doing the C2C (north version).

However, most mountain bikes have wide rims, designed to take two inch or wider tyres.

There is a fair bit of leeway, but a narrower tyre may not sit well on the rim.
These rims seem too skinny for the monsters currently mounted, but yes, wouldn't in any case go below 38s.

Top Bottom