Merino vs Decathlon base layers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have loads of Decathlon base layers in short and long sleeve. Approx £5-7 each and I love them

I keep reading about how good Merino wool is but cannot bring myself to pay £35 for a shirt that costs a fiver at Decathlon.

In what way are they better? At 7 times the price, are they 7 times better? How?

I have out some on my Xmas list as a luxury extra!

bonj2

comfier, warmer, last longer without getting musty

mr Mag00

rising member
jay clock its like everything you get what you pay for. i have synthetic which i tend to wear on the awrmer days of winter however, they are just fab, for all the reasons set out by bonj.
steve have you tried the thinest from icebreaker, i too find them a tad on the warm side however the wiff factor is worth it alone.

GrahamG

Guru
I had to bin all of my decathlon base layers - the stench after a few months use (and washing at 40) meant they had to be washed at 60 degrees to get rid of it and even then they'd get smelly in no time. Foul horrible things, great alternative to a van der graaf generator though if you like static. Whilst I've got some better quality base layers now, I've only just bought a merino t-shirt so unfortunately can't comment on this aspect.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
the stench after a few months use (and washing at 40) meant they had to be washed at 60 degrees to get rid of it and even then they'd get smelly in no time.
just had to get one out the drawer and inhale deeply on the armpit. Seems ok! I do have Montane one that is partly wool which I would have thought would be better but that one does smell even to me when I wear it.

Bodhbh

Guru
Just starting to get a bit of cycling specific kit and had a merrino top about a month now. Assuming they last a decent length of time does seem good kit and worth the money - warm, dries quick, non-smelly, relatively cosy damp. Been wearing it under a cheap fleece for riding, despite been the outer layer the fleece stinks to high heaven within a day, can get away with a weekend biking and wild camping before the merrino gives a hint of ponging.

Do wonder how long they last though, they look the sort of thing that wears away pretty easy. If they last okay, worth it.

jimboalee

You're telling me Merino is expensive. I paid $150 for a 1960s Peugeot team road jersey. :biggrin: Unworn. :sad: Then I coughed up another £35 to have World Champ collar and cuffs sewn on. :angry:

Do you really think I'm going to wear replica shite on my Pug? :biggrin:

yello

Give merino a try. For me, it is worth the money. You don't think about cost when something works.

Dormouse

The best thing about merino base layers is that they don't stink like artificial fibres. I find them pong free, at least to my nose, even after wearing one for a week! The main disadvantage is they take ages to dry out which is a problem if you are wild camping or using bothies for example but no problem back in civilisation. Mine are lasting well though I have some tears in a thin one.

Tynan

Veteran
haven't plumped for any merino shirts yet, but I've just starting watering a cheap merino jumper and it's ludicrously cosy considering it's so light and tight

oh, and some half merino socks, a bit warmer than wollybollies and very comfy

Moose

I've been using Decathlon base layers for about 8 months and although they do stink when I'm wearing them, I haven't noticed them still smelling after being washed, but I have noticed the static and the labels that can be irritating. Overall I think they're great value.

Haven't tried Merino, but am just now purchasing in a dhb compton base layer to try something a little more expensive.

SoulOnIce

Moose said:
I've been using Decathlon base layers for about 8 months and although they do stink when I'm wearing them, I haven't noticed them still smelling after being washed, but I have noticed the static and the labels that can be irritating. Overall I think they're great value.

This is my experience too. They are good value.

I might ask Santa to bring me a merino top so I can sue out if they are worth the bother.

historyman

good value merino base layers at 'equip your trip'.
there were also some cheap on wiggle a while back.
i now own 6. I let them pile up and when there are 5 I hand wash them with some other woolies in the bath and hang them delicately to drip dry (tumble-drying them not only un-eco but also misshapens them).
pricey, yes; but worth it cos cosy, & major reduction in smell & sweat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll throw something in 'ere - My wife is a keen sewer - i.e. her sewing machines more than out do my bikes in price..... She sourced something caller 'power dry' from the US for me - it is excellent as an underlayer - apparently their troops use it all over the world. Certainly works, breathes, etc and is non-smelly...

So synthetics for me............

Top Bottom