Merlin Sportive Carmarthenshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did it last year and it was a great day despite wet and windy all morning.

Tempted to sign on again but put off by the 0700 start.Would mean leaving home before 0500 for me .This must have put plenty of people off i should think.

I did the 104 mile Merlin route which is on quiet roads mostly with police controlling major junctions plus marshalls good feed stations etc You need your climbing legs for it.

I also rode the 70 mile Cothi route in training for the merlin ; shorter but not a soft option by any means;goes through some very scenic countryside.

Theres also a 50 and 23 mile option . My link

515mm

Banjo!

Old chum. Yes, We're doing it. Fairweather is doing the 25mile on his TT iron and then manning the Bynea Cycling Club stand. Lards and I are trying to get Stewie to come along - he's working away a lot so training is a bit limited for him. I've also got a couple of my punters to attend and I'm working on a few more.

That 0700hrs start is a bit of a shock though. What the hell is that all about?

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice to hear from the Western Chapter :biggrin: . I am tempted to do it now I know there will be some friendly faces in the crowd,it is quite a crowd with the mass start.

Focussing on the Dragon at the moment , hoping to get up the bwlch sometime in the next couple of days , did it a couple of times before the ice age descended on us but have lost a bit (lot) of fitness since.

Fairweather

Yep - i'll be there. Not looking forward to the early start either. As far as I understand it has to be that early to get the Police support as we had last year, which I have to say was the best i've ever seen on any sportive. The closed junction at 6 roads was fanstastic - all the traffic stopped just for us- how cool was that!. Oh - and the closed junction at the turn up to Llanarthne - I guess the upside is that there will be super quiet roads, and an earlier finish for the maniacs tackling the monster route.
I really can't see things getting under way that early though to be honest, and you don't have to start at that time of course. You could get on the way as and when you get there. And I hope the weather will be better than last year as well!..

515mm

Got to concentrate on the Dragon this year too - my brother in law is doing it with me. He's an ex-military PT instructor.

Think about Fabien Cancellara's physique for a moment. Now add Laurence Dallaglio's determination.

There you go. That's what I'm up against.

And he's a nice bloke, which makes it so much worse.

I may be seeing you on the Bwlch for training soon.........

Top Bottom