messenger bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi all,

not far off my big commuting and i'm thinking bags. i have the brommie luggage system which clips to the front and the 'c' bag is messenger stylee and i like the way my stuff fits in. BUT it is regularly windy where i live and the front fitted bag acts like a sail brake. i tried to use the 'c' bag as a messenger bag but it's not really designed for that and is tbh useless.

my question is, are messenger bags like the timbuk2, chrome etc comfy to wear for a couple of hours at a time? do they keep slipping round like the 'c' bag did? would a bladder fit in? or is there some other way to fit a drinks system? as brommies don't have bottle cages.

or are they really just for messengers?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
bromptonfb said:
hi all,

my question is, are messenger bags comfy to wear for a couple of hours at a time? do they keep slipping round like the 'c' bag did?

no; yes.:biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm on a karimoor bag at the mo, which is useless for commuting, but is a very nice green. The best courier style bags, IMO, are the massive ones which wrap around both kidneys and provide enough friction to not slip; the howies one is a belter (and the one I should start using again).

Otherwise, get a rucsac.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've not used a messenger bag but find that the downside of a rucksack is reduced shoulder visiblity when looking back.

The only issue for me with messenger bags is the distribution of weight across one shoulder as at times I can carry tons of stuff with some significant weight...any comments on this?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've got a dakine messenger bag. I bought it to replace the numerous rucksacks i've used. It really works very well, looks a bit more 'respectable' than a rucksack and when used with the third strap stays nicely in place.

Not just for messengers :biggrin:

Happiness Stan

Very happy with my Timbuk3

trio25

Über Member
Happy with my Timbuk3. Yesterday I had loads of weight in mine after collecting files for the week, didn't move at all - although it does if I stand up! I find it puts the weight on my hips which works for me. I would need a huge rucksac at the moment with all the warm clothes I am carrying so it works for me.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Rucksacks create sweaty backs which is why i wouldn't use one for commuting.
Also you can get into a messenger bag without removing it, rucksacks need to be taken off completly to get anything from them.

You'll only really notice how good a messenger bag is when you try one. Vast improvment over rucksacks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I reviewed the Timbuk2 medium messenger on here - should be in the reviews section somewhere.

I used the c bag as a messenger bag for the first time today (granted, it had a 700c wheel attached to the buckles) and it seemed to work ok.

If you sit fairly upright, you should find that the bags don't slip too much. The racier your position, the more of a pain they are (slipping & needing pushing back into position all the time). I do like mine, but I tend to only use it with flat bar bikes.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
ttcycle said:
The only issue for me with messenger bags is the distribution of weight across one shoulder as at times I can carry tons of stuff with some significant weight...any comments on this?

I find, on a road bike, that the bag doesn't place much weight on my shoulder, the chest strap keeps it steady and it sits on top of my back while riding- so most of the weight of the bag is supported by my body. I can slip the shoulder strap off and the bag pretty much stays where it is.

The downside is that for longer distances than my longest commute (about 20 miles) the extra weight starts to make the arse hurt a bit, so it's panniers or travelling light for anything like that.

The upside is I can commute on any of my bikes- only one of which will take a rack.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
John the Monkey said:
If you sit fairly upright, you should find that the bags don't slip too much. The racier your position, the more of a pain they are (slipping & needing pushing back into position all the time). I do like mine, but I tend to only use it with flat bar bikes.

That's not been my experience, although my previous bag did tend to move around- I was never very happy with the strap design on that. My current bag (an Ortlieb) is pretty good for staying put. I keep the shoulder strap very short, that helps too.

Top Bottom