Met Office......Ha!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LizardEye

Checked the weather yesterday afternoon for today's commute. Fine in the morning then rain around 3pm. Ok I'll wear my waterproofs.
Check again in the evening- rain from 6pm. Check again this morning - no rain till 9 pm. No need for the waterproofs then.
So what happens - rains on the way in. Brilliant.
Goodness knows what it'll be like on the way home.

BSRU

A Human Being
Yesterday, I watched many of the BBC News weather reports, from the Met. Office, every hour it would be different from the previous "prediction". I think the Met. Office have their supercomputer set to worst case scenario as they always over predict rain.

BSRU

A Human Being
Take from a variety of sources ... one of the good ones is http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ which shows you the rain radar and gives you an indication of what is on its way for you. It's also good as you can see how the rain band is changing.

I always use raintoday.co.uk, good for knowing how wet it is going be plus whether or not to leave a little earlier/later to avoid a passing shower.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The met office provide a live radar of rain fall over England. I use that to see if it's going to rain on my ride.

ThePainInSpain

Been really wet and claggy over here for the past couple of weeks. I look on 3 different forecasts, MSN (normally fairly accurate), BBC and a The Spanish Met Office.

All three are different, so how can you take any notice of any of them.

BenM

Veteran
All three are different, so how can you take any notice of any of them.
You can use many inaccurate measurements to arrive at a much better measurement (cf. Network Time Protocol and also look up how UTC works)

:biggrin:

B.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
When we had those easterly winds a while back, I found the UK rain radar hopeless as it doesn't cover very far to the east. So I started using the Dutch Met site which gave a much better indication of what was heading our way from the other side of the North Sea.

Probably only much use if you are on the East side of the UK, but they also have the British rain radar (Britse eilanden) as well as several other countries. Looks like they use the same source as the raintoday site- excellent as you can home in on a very localised area.

Top Bottom