Michelin Pro Race 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

Today I had a blowout on my rear wheel, shod with a Michelin Pro race 3. About 3 inches along where the "cord" holds the sidewall together. Done about 200 miles on them from new. Always pumped up near to maximum. Did I just get unlucky, or does this sort of thing happen reguarilly?

Cheers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You got unlucky.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unlucky...

I've got Pro Race 2's on both my road bikes for over 3 years

I've had a Conti GP 4 Season blow just months old....life, road crap etc. £35 a tyre gone ! No way...happens!

Just luck...........

OP
OP
koro

koro

Ok thanks for your replies, excellent tyre though not cheap. Have now reordered, feeling a little better that I just got unlucky with me first one...

Cheers

But then nowing my luck.....

BouchDen

I just had a blowout tonight with a brand new Prorace 3. Just minutes before the start of the race. Hopefully, I had a Ksyrium Elite spare wheel. It happened another time, I think it was 3 years ago with another Prorace 3 or 2.

And I never put more than 110-115 psi. (Pedros floor pump).

Maybe the Michelin I get from PBK are sometimes "weak" ? Price is good, (unbeatable) but...

Globalti

Legendary Member
You should both send the tyres back to the manufacturer. You will probably get free replacements and they need to know if there's a QC problem, so you'll be doing the rest of us Pro 3 riders a favour.

(Just fitted them to my Roubaix - excellent tyres, got a pair for £43 from Merlin Cycles)

amaferanga

Veteran
Hi,

Today I had a blowout on my rear wheel, shod with a Michelin Pro race 3. About 3 inches along where the "cord" holds the sidewall together. Done about 200 miles on them from new. Always pumped up near to maximum. Did I just get unlucky, or does this sort of thing happen reguarilly?

Cheers

Why? I'm not saying that this contributed to the blowout, but what benefit do you think there is from running tyres at or near to their maximum pressure?

brockers

And I never put more than 110-115 psi. (Pedros floor pump).

Maybe the Michelin I get from PBK are sometimes "weak" ? Price is good, (unbeatable) but...

Interesting. Makes you wonder if Mich are offloading their QC failure batches through PBK... (I'm sure they're not, but I'm missing my fix of conspiracy theory for today !)

amaferanga

Veteran
harder tyres roll faster!

In theory. Not quite so clear cut on rough roads like we have in this country.

Quote from Sheldon Brown:

• Rolling resistance does decrease theoretically with any increase in pressure, but with modern, high-quality tyres the rolling resistance at correct inflation pressure is already so low that the infinitesimal reductions gained are more than outweighed by the trade-offs.

OP
OP
koro

koro

You should both send the tyres back to the manufacturer. You will probably get free replacements and they need to know if there's a QC problem, so you'll be doing the rest of us Pro 3 riders a favour.

(Just fitted them to my Roubaix - excellent tyres, got a pair for £43 from Merlin Cycles)

I have seen the other post, also concerning a blowout... Tomorrow I will see about sending it back.... not that the thought of a free replacement ( maybee..) has crossed my mind..

Top Bottom