Michelin Pro2 Race Tyre - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

These any good.

On offer at min from probikekit.com

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1056

Using Spesh Armadillos at present. Looking for something to use on weekend rides in a couple of months when I have my new road bike. I want to do faster weekend rides and the armadillos apparently have appalling rolling resistance and poor cornering. Never noticed but then again I have never used anything else so I guess I wouldn't know what a decent tyre is really like. Will still be using my spesh armadillos for dark commutes as they have never let me down and in the dark it is more important for me to get home puncture free than it is to go faster.

Basically I want to do faster weekend rides. I can do 15mph avg at the min (though by the end of the summer last year when I was 4kg lighter and had longer solo rides behind me I avg 16-17mph on 40-60 mile rides over flat terrain) on the flat bar spesh sirrus comp and not riding clipless. I want to bring that average up. Any ideas what I should be aiming for this year on spds, focus cayo full carbon jobbie, with decent tyres and back down to my normal summer weight and if this tyre isn't up to the job what would be best. Must have some level of puncture resistance as really light tyres with no puncture resistance would seem only appropriate to me for time trialling which I have no intentions of getting involved in.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The dog's danglies.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Excellent that's 2 out of 2 so going to grab them while I can still get them. If what a lot of others say is right they can't be any worse than my armadillos.

andygates

A much much nicer ride than armourdildos. Grippy as fcuk. Dunno how long they last - the ones I got late last summer have been hiding indoors until this weekend!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fab!
Great ride, Very fast rolling (recent test showed this also to be the case), light, grip like a really grippy thing gripping well, supple riding. Come-up a tad larger than your average 23c. P-protection OK but they do cut-up a bit easily...wet-suit/neoprene glue helps repairs.

Great for Spring/Summer/Autumn use.
Usually cheap on Parkers as well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use Pro Race 2's on both my bikes - nicest tyres I've had for a long time - light, fast, grippy and come in enough colours to match the bike (tart) :biggrin:

They are the tyres that god would put on his bike. If he exists. That is how damn good they are.

Consider the 25c option - I moved from 23c to the 25c P2R's and won't go back to 23c, they are much better.

Also can you wait a bit because the P3R's are about to be released.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Thanks JRG have already bought a set of 23c and I will be using these on my flat bar commuter as a way of trying things out for the road bike so if these are as good as they would seem to be then I will probably keep them on the commuter and get a new set for the road bike and by that time the P3R's may be out. Probably the reason why they are special offer at the min.

andygates

The 23's are perfect for a quick wheel-change; the 25's are just a little chubby for a slick easy drop.

Tynan

Veteran
why do people persist with armadillos?

lots of tyres offer very good punc protection theses days, I certainly wouldn't sacrifice roll and cornering ability for increased protection

toontra

Veteran
fossyant said:
Pro Race 3's are looking at about £35 each - ouch..... got 2 pairs of Pro Race 2's for less than £70 this time last year...

Parker's are taking advance orders @ £23 each (only grey/black but that's what I want anyway, luckily!) - here

Top Bottom