Michelin tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slugger_2003

Anybody got any recommendations on michelin tyres for a commuter bike..current tyres say 26 x 2.00 if that helps anyone. Think that means 26" tyre diameter and 2" width.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd suggest the Michelin City 26x1.4

Comment:
Tread on tyres that will be used mostly on the road is counterproductive. You get grip from the road digging in to the rubber of the tyre, not vice-versa. If the tyre has tread, there's less rubber for the road to dig into, so you get less grip. You can also get the knobbles squirming about, which may cause problems.
Cars have tread to clear the water out from under the tyre. On a bike with much narrower tyres you have to be doing silly speeds (80-100mph) for water to be a problem.

Sizes:
26 x 2.0 does indeed mean 26" in diameter and 2" wide. However, if the tyre were only 1" wide (and high), it would still be called 26 x 1.0, despite the diameter being only 24". This is because it fits on the same size rim.
You can use any tyre that's got the width marked as a decimal number rather than a fraction (26x1.5 rather than 26 x 1 ½). Tyres marked 26-and-a-fraction will fit a different size rim. The rim diameter will also be marked on the tyre - you have 559mm diameter rims, so you should also see "50-559" marked on the tyre, where 50mm = 2" is the tyre width.

OP
OP
S

slugger_2003

On the tyre it states 26 x 2.00 (52-599), does that make a difference that it states 52-599 instead of 50-599 as you thought?
Will the Michelin City 26 x 1.4 be garaunteed to fit the exact same wheels that I have now?

andyfromotley

pm mickle, he knows an awful lot about this sort of stuff, or try your local bike shop, theyre usually good for advice.

I use 26 x 1.7 'slick' tyre (ie no knobbly bits) for my commute. they are much quicker than knobbly ones. They are schwalbe and have been very good. good luck.

andy

Top Bottom