England : London Midsummer Madness: 21st June 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
It's that time of year again! Lewisham Cyclists will lead the the traditonal yearly trip from Greenwich via London Bridge up to Primrose Hill to view the sunrise of the longest day of the year. A ride first introduced to me years ago now, by the fondly remembered Barry Mason. Another reason for keeping it going, for me anyway.
It's a Saturday night/Sunday morning, however, so our usual journey through Soho with a coffee stop at Bar Italia would be problematic. We have struggled to get through those streets on a weekday night and I can't remember the last time I managed to get inside Bar Italia on this ride. So, looks like we'll head through the city, then turn right at some point to join the old route past Regent's Park to Primrose Hill. We may skip the coffee stop, or could head past Beigel Bake on the way. Sunrise is at 4.43 on Sunday 21st June so would aim to be at Primrose Hill around 4.15 to 4.30am. We usually leave Greenwich at 2am earlier that morning, London Bridge around half an hour later.
Generally, once sunrise is over, some people drift off but we usually lead the hungry to a caff for breakfast. Traditionally, we have used the Island Cafe, once we used Lock 7. which opened early for us. Neither of these is an option now, the former is closed on Sundays. Lock 7 doesn't really do food. So, apart from the Polo Bar or back to Beigel Bake, not sure if breakfast is possibe, unless anyone knows a caff that opens before 7 on a Sunday.
All are welcome to join us. Any advice about cafés and coffee stops welcome, any back marking help welcome.

I will be away. Have a great ride!

U

User10571

I think you'll be struggling for a breakfast spot at the time of day you've mentioned, other than the two you have referred to.
As an inveterate weekend breakfaster, few, if any places tend to open before 10:0 onna Sunday.
The exceptions follow:
Polo Bar, I would've thought would want prior warning to diners turning up in numbers - having said which - I have never eaten there.
Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, given their post clubbing clientele, would probably cope with anything you could possibly hope to throw their way. Albeit with a much restricted menu - I'm struggling to think of anything on their menu which might suit a vegetarian. Also, seating is limited.
Another (untried) possibility is VQ Bloomsbury
http://www.vq24hours.com/vq24-bloomsbury/
Again, untried, and again, my gut feeling it that they'd want notice of diners, if they are likely to manifest themselves in numbers.
I hope the ride is a fine one.
If I attend, it'll be a last minute decision :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think you'll be struggling for a breakfast spot at the time of day you've mentioned, other than the two you have referred to.
As an inveterate weekend breakfaster, few, if any places tend to open before 10:0 onna Sunday.
The exceptions follow:
Polo Bar, I would've thought would want prior warning to diners turning up in numbers - having said which - I have never eaten there.
Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, given their post clubbing clientele, would probably cope with anything you could possibly hope to throw their way. Albeit with a much restricted menu - I'm struggling to thing of anything on their menu which might suit a vegetarian. Also, seating is limited.
Another (untried) possibility is VQ Bloomsbury
http://www.vq24hours.com/vq24-bloomsbury/
Again, untried, and again, my gut feeling it that they'd want notice of diners, if they are likely to manifest themselves in numbers.
I hope the ride is a fine one.
If I attend, it'll be a last minute decision :smile:
There's two bagel shops on Brick Lane, are there not?

U

User10571

There's two bagel shops on Brick Lane, are there not?
There are more than two.
The seating / clientele scenario remains the same as described above.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
Did consider Terry's but had a feeling they don't open Sunday's anymore...have rung them a couple of times but no answer...however I can easily pop in, I pass it often on my way to jobs.
I hadn't heard of VQ...looks a bit smart for a gaggle of urchin bike riders. My thoughts about the Beigel option would be that it might be a semi picnic breakfast. Perhaps we could stock up on beigels then ride through to Arnold Circus and picnic in the bandstand?

U

User10571

I've had a reasonably thorough hoover of other sites, including the likes of Urban75 (always a useful searching point) but there is little which points to open-early-onna-Sunday-morning cafes.
Other than those which have already been mentioned :sad:
What has happened to 'London never sleeps' ?
Or is that restricted to just to Beigel Bake in Brick Lane?
(Rhetorical question..... )

OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
Yup, that's where we'll be.
I am on a mission today to tour bike cafes and see if anyone is up for opening early...not that confident, though. If I was a cafe owner, I wouldn't do it, especially as numbers can't be guaranteed. But it's a good excuse to do something I have been meaning to do for a while...first stop will be the new one in Deptford High St.

Last edited:
Thanks will defo confirm turning up nearer the time
Sounds like you've a right mission today
I know Fat Boys open at 09:00 same as the ViewTube Cafe and Bagel on The Park
Am thinking along the Picnic Brekkie and possibly staying at Primrose Hill

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
McDonalds :giggle: kentish town, warren st, baker st all open 5am on sundays.

Where in Greenwich is the meet point?

Top Bottom