Mileage Milestones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

Is there any criteria to achieving mileage milestones?
After reading many threads about the bumps and eating on the fly I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing it right. At weekends my 12 year old son and myself often do between forty and fifty miles and I also do the same kind of miles riding solo midweek when my shifts allow. My average speed with my son never gets above 10 mph and my midweek average speed never gets above 14. I also stop for a rest when I feel that I or my son need one so a weekend run may last for seven hours, including breaks and the same mileage midweek may take four to five hours hours.
My point is does is there a minimum average speed or a maximum time for a run to qualify as legitimate miles?

Not IMO if you're on a bike its legitimate cycling miles. Targets are down to the individual to set them or not and at what level.

Norm

I don't think there's any minimum or maximum speed. If you want to consider such things (which I don't!), then effort would be more important and that relies on terrain, surface, fitness etc.

Personally, I just love to get out and ride, that seems to be enough for me. ;)

Shaun

Founder
14mph over 50 miles is a pretty good average for a leisure / fitness ride, so don't worry that you're not going fast enough or putting enough effort in.

The key thing is to just enjoy it.

If you've got a specific time trial, race, or timed event you want to get ready for then I'm sure people can offer lots of good training advice, but it sounds like you're doing just fine.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

MLC

I sometimes feel the same as you Mark, and it drives me mad. If I go out and cyle say an (arbitory for illustration purposes only) 60 miles 5 of those is to get my Club's start point (where I stop and have a cup of coffee) 25 to get to a cafe stop (say 45 mins stop) and then 25 back another cup of coffee and then another 5 back home have I completed 4 separate rides or a 60 mile ride.

I like to think that I have done a 60 mile day ride after all it was 60miles in all. I was on the bike I didn't go by Train, bus or car.

If you entered the London Marathon and stopped for an hour 1/2 way round did you complete the Marathon that day or simply two half marathons?

I think it's subjective and unless as was mentioned on here you are competing on the TDF, Giro or even a local club race type event does it really matter ? you still cycled 60 miles.

However there is a big difference to 60 miles non stop and 60 miles with stops.......I would however have to guess at that as I have not got anywhere near that distance without stopping!!!

Edit: I may start another thread about how far people go without stopping

I absolutely cannot motivate myself to ride somewhere and then just turn around and come back again, especially as I don't know any training partners. Most of my distances are commutes to various sites, even if it's to fill in some paperwork and eat a sausage roll before coming back again. I'm not sure if I should count these as, for example, two 25 milers or a 50 miler. I suppose my criteria is whether or not my legs have recovered in between or whether I can still feel the previous hills.

Keith Oates

Janner
If the miles are done in one day then that's how far you've ridden that day no matter how many stops you've had. I record my commuting miles as those ridden on the day although there has been 8 to 10 hours in the office between leaving home an getting back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom