Mini Duathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Orange

I missed my usual Saturday morning run yesterday, so did it this morning, meaning my usual Sunday morning ride had to follow straight on. Jog to the running track, 12 laps for 4.8 km in 21 minutes 39 seconds, (not too bad by my standards), then jog back, change running shorts for cycling shorts and off for my 14.9 mile route in 1 hour 2 minutes 3 seconds (not so good but maybe the run took more out of me than I thought). I was still back in time to watch the second half of Argentina Vs Scotland and I've got that nice post-exercise glow now.

I also used a cycle helmet for the first time ever - having been nagged by Mrs. Orange to get one. Got used to it fairly quickly and must admit it wasn't as uncomfortable as I expected. It was quite sweaty when I took it off though - next summer could be quite uncomfortable, so I might have to forget it on occasion. :thumbsup:

It also started to rain as I set off, so I left my sunglasses behind. Guess what, within two minutes the sun was shining and sure enough, on my first major descent a fly (don't think it was a bee?) made a beeline straight for my eye!

I also really need to get my gears sorted, Front derailleur won't switch to the small ring and the three biggest back cogs cause the chain to rub. I'm sure it's easy to sort but being a novice at such things I think I should treat the bike to a professional service. Also thinking of getting on one of Evans' maintenance workshops when I can fit it in. Has anyone been on one of these before? Would you recommend them? Milton Keynes would be my nearest one, I think.

oldroadman

Veteran
I missed my usual Saturday morning run yesterday, so did it this morning, meaning my usual Sunday morning ride had to follow straight on. Jog to the running track, 12 laps for 4.8 km in 21 minutes 39 seconds, (not too bad by my standards), then jog back, change running shorts for cycling shorts and off for my 14.9 mile route in 1 hour 2 minutes 3 seconds (not so good but maybe the run took more out of me than I thought). I was still back in time to watch the second half of Argentina Vs Scotland and I've got that nice post-exercise glow now.

I also used a cycle helmet for the first time ever - having been nagged by Mrs. Orange to get one. Got used to it fairly quickly and must admit it wasn't as uncomfortable as I expected. It was quite sweaty when I took it off though - next summer could be quite uncomfortable, so I might have to forget it on occasion. :thumbsup:

It also started to rain as I set off, so I left my sunglasses behind. Guess what, within two minutes the sun was shining and sure enough, on my first major descent a fly (don't think it was a bee?) made a beeline straight for my eye!

I also really need to get my gears sorted, Front derailleur won't switch to the small ring and the three biggest back cogs cause the chain to rub. I'm sure it's easy to sort but being a novice at such things I think I should treat the bike to a professional service. Also thinking of getting on one of Evans' maintenance workshops when I can fit it in. Has anyone been on one of these before? Would you recommend them? Milton Keynes would be my nearest one, I think.

Go to Corley's if you are near MK. A large scale local bike shop where you will get proper attention. Evens is OK, but expensive. Just keep miles away from Halfords!

edindave

Über Member
I wear a buff under my helmet, all year round, it absorbs the sweat and stops it running down your brow. Also keeps beasties from flying into the vents onto your head! Doesn't seem to get too hot either.

A bike mech course is worth doing, I did one at Edinburgh Bike Coop and would recommend it. Your front derailleur probably just needs an adjustment of the high/low limit screws. Look on YouTube for videos that will show you how to do it if you can't wait for a course. It really is easy to do yourself - a two minute job.
thumbsup.png

Unlucky getting the beastie in the eye. I had a one bounce off my glasses last week. Even though I saw it approaching, and getting larger, it still made me jump!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Orange

Orange

I wear a buff under my helmet, all year round, it absorbs the sweat and stops it running down your brow. Also keeps beasties from flying into the vents onto your head! Doesn't seem to get too hot either.

Good idea.
Your front derailleur probably just needs an adjustment of the high/low limit screws. Look on YouTube for videos that will show you how to do it if you can't wait for a course. It really is easy to do yourself - a two minute job.
thumbsup.png
I'll try that too.