Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siclo

Veteran
In the past it wasn't this bad, a casualty dept didn't resemble a war zone.

But why's it like that? It's not as if alcohol has become more available or anybody changed the status of heroin etc. It's not even as if there are more alcoholics or drug users. You need to ask how these people were being treated previously and look at what changed.

As to bringing it on themselves, where do you stop? Involved in an RTA? Were you wearing a car?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Siclo said:
. You need to ask how these people were being treated previously and look at what changed.

As to bringing it on themselves, where do you stop? Involved in an RTA? Were you wearing a car?

I tell you what has changed, when I was young, society didn't tolerate or make excuses for misbehaviour. and we are only talking 30-ish years ago, not an eternity. If you crossed the line and attacked or abused figures of authority, you got punished. You didn't have some leftie social worker type writing up a report saying that it was OK that you kicked the A & E nurse because you had a deprived childhood.
A late neighbour of mine, a good old boy, told me he once punched a local Copper in the 1960's during an argument whilst drunk. There were no witnesses and he made off from the scene. The next day, he received a "visit" from the local plod, who bundled him into the back of a meatwagon, drove down the road to somewhere quiet, and gave him a right good hiding to teach him a lesson. Then he was kicked out back on the street. There was no court time, no lawyers and no extra public cost involved. Justice was done and from the Coppers perspective it was seen to be done. There was no malice afterwards and the assailant even used to say Good Morning to the PC's if he met them. He never got into any further bother with the Law.

Siclo

Veteran
The next day, he received a "visit" from the local plod, who bundled him into the back of a meatwagon, drove down the road to somewhere quiet, and gave him a right good hiding to teach him a lesson. Then he was kicked out back on the street.

An acquaintance from school is currently serving 15 years for doing pretty much what you describe after someone punched his girlfriend while she was working, his 'lesson' went very wrong.

You can't run a society on revenge and fear.

There has to be an acceptance that with alcohol and narcotics in a society there is going to be a fallout, a cost, both financial and human but simply saying that because you can pay more for your poison makes the fallout somehow better strikes me as very wrong. I think I'll leave this here.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A fella who lived down the road from me worked in nightclubs as a 'bouncer', he once had to eject a very drunk copper from a club. about a week or so later this fella and 3 of his oppo's tried to give him a kicking after work..........................they failed, Danny battered the lot of them mainly due to the fact that they'd had a bit of 'dutch courage' whereas he was a lifelong teetotaller (he'd grown up with alcoholic Irish parents) and was a former amateur champion boxer.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
No it isn't. Visit an A & E these days and you'll find it full of drunk/drugged up idiots making a nuisance of themselves, annoying other patients, and harassing the nurses. This sort of behaviour just shouldn't be tolerated at all. In the past it wasn't this bad, a casualty dept didn't resemble a war zone. They shouldn't get any medical treatment, especially not at the taxpayer's expense. They should simply be removed immediately from the hospital and put in a police cell in whatever condition they are in. I couldn't care less what happens to them, they brought it on themselves. Anyone who attacks the nurses in the hospital should do prison time, no messing about.
I volunteer in an a+e and i dont see any of that. Most people are grateful for the help although they do grumble at waiting times.

I tell you what has changed, when I was young, society didn't tolerate or make excuses for misbehaviour. and we are only talking 30-ish years ago, not an eternity. If you crossed the line and attacked or abused figures of authority, you got punished. You didn't have some leftie social worker type writing up a report saying that it was OK that you kicked the A & E nurse because you had a deprived childhood.
A late neighbour of mine, a good old boy, told me he once punched a local Copper in the 1960's during an argument whilst drunk. There were no witnesses and he made off from the scene. The next day, he received a "visit" from the local plod, who bundled him into the back of a meatwagon, drove down the road to somewhere quiet, and gave him a right good hiding to teach him a lesson. Then he was kicked out back on the street. There was no court time, no lawyers and no extra public cost involved. Justice was done and from the Coppers perspective it was seen to be done. There was no malice afterwards and the assailant even used to say Good Morning to the PC's if he met them. He never got into any further bother with the Law.

Can anyone really say that this discussion _isn't_ political?

Fwiw, I am planning to hit 'post' then report my own comment. I can't, within the roolz, challenge any of this but it is a classic of the 'stands to reason' 'common sense' political comments that I've sometimes seen left standing in the Cafe.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5046643, member: 10119"]Can anyone really say that this discussion _isn't_ political?

Fwiw, I am planning to hit 'post' then report my own comment. I can't, within the roolz, challenge any of this but it is a classic of the 'stands to reason' 'common sense' political comments that I've sometimes seen left standing in the Cafe.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure @SkipdiverJohn has ever met any social workers,

Most of the ones I know are further to the right than Genghis Khan, a lot like the 'Elf and Safety' bunch and Traffic Wardens, there are a few in the job that are genuine caring people (I know a few of those too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom