Missing girl found alive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yello said:
I presume someone said "she is in shock"

I guess so. I got the impression Joe was implying some doubt as to the veracity of the statement, rather than taking it as a quote...

Mortiroloboy

Pete said:
Come off it now! :smile: Sussex isn't all Creepy-Crawley y'know! Though I do admit that Brighton especially (not quite in West Sussex but on its boundary) has its share of odd 'domestic' stories... But we do have a sizeable population of Guardian-reading Lib-Dem voters...

Tee hee, just joshing! I'm Sussex born, but the nicer end of the county (East) Sussex, ha ha ! Born in Brighton at the Royal Sussex County, and raised down the road in lovely Lewes. Brother lives in Rusper, where he is the local Vicar.

Mortiroloboy

wafflycat said:
He was arrested *on suspicion* of having committed an offence. He has not yet been proven to have committed any offence.

Oops, yes, you spotted my ommision,:smile: yes suspicion of , of course, he hadn't been interviewed under caution at that point to secure evidence of the alleged offence. Subsequently been charged with Kidnap and false imprisonment and remanded in custody (no surprise there then).

buggi

Bird Saviour
i don't understand why they've charged him with kidnap. it should be abduction. kidnap is when you take someone and hold them for money or something init? (from what i remember when i worked in criminal law) so is there something else we don't know?

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
buggi said:
i don't understand why they've charged him with kidnap. it should be abduction. kidnap is when you take someone and hold them for money or something init? (from what i remember when i worked in criminal law) so is there something else we don't know?

Wikipedia: kidnap
This is a common law offense requiring:

that one person takes and carries another away;
by force or fraud;
without the consent of the person taken; and
without lawful excuse.
It would be difficult to kidnap without also committing false imprisonment, which is the common-law offense of intentionally or recklessly detaining the victim. The use of force to take and detain will also be regarded as an assault, and other, related offences may also be committed before, during, or after the detention.

Abduction is usually by aliens... no, wiki gives it as near synonym, but says abduction often used in cases involving women or kids...:sad:
So in trying to find an answer, I'm more confused...

buggi

Bird Saviour
but in british law i think the words kidnap and abduction are defined differently to distinguish the difference between say, taking someone and demanding something in return for their safe return (kidnap) or taking someone for other more sinister reasons such as sexual abuse (abduction)

dudi

hmm, we've been discussing this at great length at work all day...

has always smelled fishy to me...

I'll reserve full judgement until after something has been proven...

trio25

Über Member
Yes I can't help but feel for the little girl, she is old enough to be affected by this for life.

Mortiroloboy

I'm not surprised at all, you have to feel for the girl though, it is likely to have some detrimental effect, but there again, she may just see it as the norm?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User259iroloboy said:
I'm not surprised at all, you have to feel for the girl though, it is likely to have some detrimental effect, but there again, she may just see it as the norm?
That's the thing isn't it?

If you live with a family who, if the Telegraph is correct, think indulging in some harebrained scheme they saw on telly is a good idea, at the expense of your own liberty and the public purse, god alone knows what the rest of her upbringing has been like.

Top Bottom