Moan about football ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Now, I am prejudiced from the start, I must say, given that I have a particular hatred of modern football ...

but why when anyone is reporting or being interviewed about football do they immediately adopt a facial expression of incredible seriousness? Kind of like you or I would look if we'd just been told that there'd been some terrible disaster. And why do they spout absolute drivel while sitting there in a suit, looking incredibly serious? I have just witnessed one such over-paid nincompoop on the T.V. saying something like, "Yeah, no, yeah, we gave 'em a good match, yeah, no, and we had possession and they had possession and they we running and we were running and they gave us a good match and we 'ad plenty of respect for them and it was a good match and we'll wait and see and play 'em again, y'know, yeah, no, y'know". What the hell does that mean?
huh.gif

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sadly thanks to the money involved it's a sport with a massive ego. There is only so much you can say about a bunch of pansies kicking a ball around a field but footballers and fans manage to talk an awful lot of bollocks about it. I was in my Nairobi hotel bar last night and to avoid catching the eye of one particularly irritating lady of the night I was forced to watch the TV screen; in the time it took to drink one cold Tusker I saw three blokes fall over clutching their ankles, legs or faces dramatically then getting up and carrying on as if nothing had happened. Can you imagine them playing on with blood dripping from their faces as rugby players do?

What I really hate is the semi-articulate morons who manage the football teams, the gum-chewing and the posturing and as you write above, the ever-so-serious grim-faced attitude. There's one called Ferguson who manages some northern team who looks half pickled all the time he hasn't got his head up his own arse.

MarkF

Guru
There is only so many words so many people can use when faced with the very same questions again and again. No wonder the replies are what they are.

What's with the modern football hatred. I've been going to games since the 1970's and think it is infinitely superior today.

yello

but why when anyone is reporting or being interviewed about football do they immediately adopt a facial expression of incredible seriousness?

I think the same when I see musicians/singers being interviewed! Singing is not that serious. Little girls sing songs on the park swings!

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
I have just witnessed one such over-paid nincompoop on the T.V. saying something like, "Yeah, no, yeah, we gave 'em a good match, yeah, no, and we had possession and they had possession and they we running and we were running and they gave us a good match and we 'ad plenty of respect for them and it was a good match and we'll wait and see and play 'em again, y'know, yeah, no, y'know". What the hell does that mean?
huh.gif

This is where you are at a serious disadvantage. To the knuckle dragging football supporter this is actually quite profound.:biggrin:

Peteaud

Veteran
Now, I am prejudiced from the start, I must say, given that I have a particular hatred of modern football ...

but why when anyone is reporting or being interviewed about football do they immediately adopt a facial expression of incredible seriousness? Kind of like you or I would look if we'd just been told that there'd been some terrible disaster. And why do they spout absolute drivel while sitting there in a suit, looking incredibly serious? I have just witnessed one such over-paid nincompoop on the T.V. saying something like, "Yeah, no, yeah, we gave 'em a good match, yeah, no, and we had possession and they had possession and they we running and we were running and they gave us a good match and we 'ad plenty of respect for them and it was a good match and we'll wait and see and play 'em again, y'know, yeah, no, y'know". What the hell does that mean?
huh.gif

If that was the bloke (dont know his name) on about the england match, me and SWMBO said the same thing.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
If that was the bloke (dont know his name) on about the england match, me and SWMBO said the same thing.

It could have been, to be honest, all football stuff is the same blur to me!

What's with the modern football hatred. I've been going to games since the 1970's and think it is infinitely superior today.

Well, I think it would be much more fun if we went right back to mediaeval rules football - two villages, a goal post in each village, a pig's bladder, everyone in the village gets stuck in, and beating the sh*t out of the opposition to get possession of the ball ... well, bladder ... is perfectly acceptable sporting behaviour.
biggrin.gif

ohnovino

Large Member
Can you imagine them playing on with fake blood dripping from their faces as rugby players do?

FTFY :thumbsup:

aberal

Guru
Well, I think it would be much more fun if we went right back to mediaeval rules football - two villages, a goal post in each village, a pig's bladder, everyone in the village gets stuck in, and beating the sh*t out of the opposition to get possession of the ball ... well, bladder ... is perfectly acceptable sporting behaviour.
biggrin.gif

That's called Rugby Union in the Scottish Borders and parts of Wales. Rugby League in the North of England.

postman

Legendary Member
Sideways,sideways,back,sideways,sideways,back.Big punt upfield.Superior my arse.Falling down namby pambys.Not a great lover of soccer now.But only two teams i enjoy are,Arsenal and Man u.Pity about the whinging coaches.

MarkF

Guru
Well, I think it would be much more fun if we went right back to mediaeval rules football - two villages, a goal post in each village, a pig's bladder, everyone in the village gets stuck in, and beating the sh*t out of the opposition to get possession of the ball ... well, bladder ... is perfectly acceptable sporting behaviour. :biggrin:

Ok, I'd pay to watch that. :smile:

Modern football, well, the cheating, the rolling around, the "card" waving, the shirt tugging and the spitting, I love all of that. Great stuff! :biggrin:

Red Bulls

Sideways,sideways,back,sideways,sideways,back.Big punt upfield.Superior my arse.Falling down namby pambys.Not a great lover of soccer now.But only two teams i enjoy are,Arsenal and Man u.Pity about the whinging coaches.

Sounds like rugby to me :tongue:

Football/Rugby.
Different games, different injuries, different way of using the ball and skills for it. Its like trying to compare sailing with rowing; both use boats and water so any comparisons must be valid.
Try anchoring your foot firmly with studs in a pitch and then having someone swing at your ankle or knee and bending it in a way it was never meant to. It hurts.
Rugby injuries are more to be upper body as thats where the ball will be, you can still run about if the legs still work. There seemed to be plenty of players getting treatment during the world Cup recently too.

There is only so much you can say about a bunch of pansies kicking a ball around a field but footballers and fans manage to talk an awful lot of bollocks about it.

Rugby pundits/fans are of course entirely innocent of talking bollocks :whistle:

I do agree with XmisterIS though, there are a lot of footballers (and managers come to it) who should never be allowed to give interviews. Their 'footballing brains' don't seem to leave much room for coherent answers in there. And as for Lawrenson and Ferguson.......

Top Bottom