Moonlight needs advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Have you looked on wiggle.com?

I'm sure others will be along with specific suggestions but wiggle is as good a place to start.

Good luck and Happy Birthday for Friday!

domtyler

Über Member
I'd allocate about a hundred on shoes and fifty to sixty on pedals (The Shimano 105 pedals won best buy in this months C+ mag.). As for everything else, just spend an hour or two in the shop trying stuff on and make sure what you get a) fits and :laugh: you love the look of.

Enjoy! :laugh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Surely a birthday justifies a bike :laugh:?

Go and try on the shoes and try a few brands. I found what people said about shimano shoes being true, they are very tight and small and about a size too small size for size, also found that for some other brands. Get whatever pair of shoes you like, or you could get two pairs of shoes, some road shoes and some everyday shoes with a recessed cleat too?

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

hmm...my friend has 100 quid worth of shimano shoes to go with his stolen bike, and he wants my ps2...maybe a swap is in order! tehe.

Thanks guys, will investigate some more me thinks...

marinyork

Get a PS3 with back compatibility for PS2, get the shoes and SPDs (or other cleats) and some other mean gear.

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

=D

That reminds me SPDs or racy race race? I will switch back to my stocks for commuting, so this will just be for training, races, TTs etc. and a little bit of touring maybe,,,

marinyork

I only have SPDs and only got them a couple of months back. Don't know anything about the better ones. They seemed a big enough step up for me. Shoes were about 50 I think and pedals 35.

kyuss

Veteran
With shoes you really need to try them on as the fit is more critical than with regular shoes or trainers. I've had 2 pairs of Specialized ones and been pretty happy with them, though if I had the money I'd be looking at getting a pair of Sidi (big bucks though). If you can afford it get something with a carbon sole as the nylon injection moulded ones aren't as stiff and tend to go a bit softer over time.

SPD pedals are fine if you're using a shoe with a recessed cleat for walking in but if you're using smooth soled road shoes it'll be a pain in the arse to walk in no matter what pedal system you use so Look or SPD-SL might be a better choice with their bigger platform. I find my Looks easier to get into than SPD when using a road shoe and they don't chew up the sole if you miss engaging with the pedal first time.

Get bib shorts instead of regular shorts. Much more comfortable. I've got some Endura FS260 which are pretty comfortable but like shoes, shorts are personal preference and good fit.

When it comes to jerseys again it's personal preference. I've always loved the look of Twin Six stuff but it's not too easy to get hold of them in Britain

kyuss

Veteran
The shoes are good. I had a pair of the same model 2 or 3 years ago and as my first proper road shoes I couldn't fault them. The sole did go a bit soft after a year and half or so and ended that I couldn't get the cleat tightened on enough without pulling the plate through the sole. Obviously the fit is the most important thing but if these felt comfortable I'd rather have them as the carbon sole will be stiffer and longer lasting.

The pedals look good too. I haven't tried Keo myself (still running the old Delta) but looking at the spec of the Keo Sprint and the Keo Classic I'm not sure the extra £20 is worth it. Might be better to get the cheaper pedals and spend a bit more on shoes.

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Ok, excellent, I will take you advice completely, thank you very much kyuss, you've been a real help =]

Top Bottom