More cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Not a cyclist bashing thread - plenty of bad drivers and peds who need sorting as well...

Noticed over the last few months a definite increase in the number of cyclists on the commute, compared to last year.
Unfortunately, although I've seen a few 'good' cyclists, it seems that I'm seeing a greater proportion of cyclists who don't have a clue.
I know we have 'discussions' about RLJs and cycling on the pavement. However, I'm talking about people doing such as cycling on pavements and then jumping off the kerb to pass junctions, without attempting a lifesaver or showing any regard for other road users (or pavement users).
In the last few weeks I've seen at least 2 cyclists a week on Sheffield Parkway. Its illegal and signposted as such. Its a minimum dual carriageway, 4 lanes in parts. Last year I'd see one every 3-4 weeks.
And this week I saw a guy cycling on the wrong side of the road, through a set of lights, into oncoming traffic.
I'm also seeing a lot of (what I assume are) new cyclists, with a road position between the kerb and the yellow line....

Now i was thinking do we need better education in schools?
As we're all 'road users' at some point, should there be a highway code test as part of the curriculum?

But the majority of these I'd estimate as late teens to early twenties, schools too late...

Do we rely on the Darwin effect, or any other suggestions?

Tynan

Veteran
it's live and learn unfortunately, I worked my way up the ladder, curb hugging etc etc, learnt a lot on here when I first started posting, an influx of noobs into any arena means a lot of ignorance

hackbike 6

Tynan said:
it's live and learn unfortunately, I worked my way up the ladder, curb hugging etc etc, learnt a lot on here when I first started posting, an influx of noobs into any arena means a lot of ignorance

So because I do it im an inexperienced newbie?

I must admit im getting tired of this patronizing I do it right because I don't hug the gutter attitude.No on second thoughts I hug the cycle lanes.

Yes I know how dangerous car doors are and if I can I try to ride clear of them.

I see very few differences to my riding down the MER and if I did see anything better then I would copy it.Perhaps my positioning I find is better as you tend to move out when overtaking a bus etc,etc and generally not everyone seems to do this but leave it to the last moment.

Im not to happy with some of the cyclists out there due to the fact a quite a few have pulled out on me,one of the most serious being last week.

See some scary stuff,saw some girl signalling last week without looking before she made her move,and I see this quite a bit.It's not just motorists and peds who are pests.

Trillian

personally i'm scared of riding too close to the kerb after falling off in my youth from the pedal catching the kerb.

i generally do cycle slightly out into the road for when people ride off the kerb right in front of me, a swift yorkshire "OI Ya"

he won't do that again in a hurry

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
gambatte said:
Not a cyclist bashing thread - plenty of bad drivers and peds who need sorting as well...

Noticed over the last few months a definite increase in the number of cyclists on the commute, compared to last year.
Unfortunately, although I've seen a few 'good' cyclists, it seems that I'm seeing a greater proportion of cyclists who don't have a clue.
I know we have 'discussions' about RLJs and cycling on the pavement. However, I'm talking about people doing such as cycling on pavements and then jumping off the kerb to pass junctions, without attempting a lifesaver or showing any regard for other road users (or pavement users).
In the last few weeks I've seen at least 2 cyclists a week on Sheffield Parkway. Its illegal and signposted as such. Its a minimum dual carriageway, 4 lanes in parts. Last year I'd see one every 3-4 weeks.
And this week I saw a guy cycling on the wrong side of the road, through a set of lights, into oncoming traffic.
I'm also seeing a lot of (what I assume are) new cyclists, with a road position between the kerb and the yellow line....

Now i was thinking do we need better education in schools?
As we're all 'road users' at some point, should there be a highway code test as part of the curriculum?

But the majority of these I'd estimate as late teens to early twenties, schools too late...

Do we rely on the Darwin effect, or any other suggestions?

I've noticed a lot more cyclists knocking around externally to Sheffield at times, not within it itself.

The Parkway is nothing new, you get people walking along it from time to time. Sadly with all the subsistence work going on in Handsworth the last couple of years I think some people have got the idea it isn't that fast and why not do a bit of it. It is at a level understandable why some newbies may use it though as it is a route void and some of the alternatives are not very nice (and will get worse e.g. orgreave development). The other issue is the ban at the city centre end, there's no particular clear reason why there is a ban at the A61 section, in a lot of ways it doesn't make any sense at all other than to try and keep people off the parkway proper.

hackbike 6

Good point about peds and yes im wary of them standing on the edge,so I have to pull out as I don't particularly want another collision.Although my last collision wasn't due to me using the cycle lane.

Dunno whether it was what BM said but I don't particularly like cars right up my rear end either.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User1314 said:
+1

Q is how to impart roadsense to newbies / occasional cyclists / me

Its what I'm wondering.
Promoting good drivings one thing.
But good drivings no real use if a bike shooting along the nearside pavement suddenly jumps off the kerb straight in front

I also wonder as to the reasons for 'bad riding'?

Is it a considered choice?
Is it ignorance?
Is it lack of concentration?
Is it merely, "I'll do what I want, when I want"?

marinyork

As for suggestions as to what to do about it I liked the CTC suggestions that Origamist was talking about recently.

hackbike 6

Is it inexperience?

Was going to say ignorance but you beat me to it.

personally i'm scared of riding too close to the kerb after falling off in my youth from the pedal catching the kerb.

Personally im scared of having both hands off of the handlebars after letting go,in my youth and falling off.

marinyork

Yawn...

Back on the topic with the bunnyhopping and small arsing around I think some of this is really motivated, among other things, with a phobia of main roads. You see some people going along and oh dear, oh dear, oh dear I've hit a junction/main road and off they go and then once past back on the road. I think this goes beyond inexperience and includes some kind of indoctrination through attitudes from some motorists and other groups like sustrans constantly banging on about off road routes, leads to an unrealistic expectation when cycling for necessity.

marinyork

Yes, I have to hibernate soon. I get to miss out on all the good cycling that goes on in the winter and then wake up for all the numpties in the summer where I can choke on my cornflakes as I see them float past above the pavement and leave a trail of devastation.

hackbike 6

User3143 said:
Yeah i have noticed the number of cyclists go up over the last couple of months, RLJ's don't really annoy me as I do it as well. What annoys me though are people riding on the pavement, they'll learn the hard way though when they run into someone and get sued. Just have to look out for yourself when you are out on a bike sad but true.

A couple of years ago, I used to enjoy the commute seeing other cyclists and give them the nod. No I don't bother any more

Now I see people ride with their seat about six inches lower then it should be, no lights, no helmet riding on the pavement, but what can you do, I mean really??

As for people riding on roads they should not be? well again what can you do? I think it's a live and learn situation from the point of the cyclist. that's doing it.

You question what other people are doing but,they are all breaking the law in one way or another,just like you.
We or at least I don't like it when motorists drive without due care and consideration.

Well apart from the seat and helmet thingy I guess,that's a personal choice obviously.

Is the actual purpose of RLJing to save a few minutes?
Just like the motorist who does a dodgy overtake to save time as well?

Must be a human trait.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
We get a thread like this at least every few months. I'm just happy there are more cyclists - more cyclists equals more safety and acceptance for all of us. The more wobbly they are, the more space they'll teach motorists to give all of us. I'm sure lots will learn, gain experience, and ride better, but there will still be plenty of numptys around too.

hackbike 6

I haven't got a problem with new cyclists and do understand I can't have it all my own way.

There are good cyclists and not so good obviously.
Same with motorists though generally it's the dodgy motorists who are the biggest threat.For obvious reasons.

dondare

Über Member
I blow hot and cold on ths one. On one hand I'll be arguing (forever if you want) that cycling is hardly regulated at all, and that this means that there'll be every kind of idiot you see riding a bike, and that this is a good thing because the advantages both to the individual and to society of unregulated cycling outweigh the disadvantages.
On the other hand I'll argue (forever if you like) that cyclists should know and obey the law and know the highway code and safeguard both their own safety and that of all other road users.
The reality is that cycling is not regulated and that people are mostly idiots both on and off the bike and that those of us who do care have to watch out for thems that don't.

Top Bottom