More Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
It seems to me that in Swindon that there are more road cyclists this year than last.
It used to be very rare to see another road cyclist on my commutes but this year I see quite a few, many with all the gear.
As far as I am concerned the more the merrier, as it potentially means fewer cars and those cars on the road will hopefully have more experience of interacting with cyclists on the road.

Another advantage for me is that it stops me being lazy and just cruising along instead of putting in some effort, it is the only exercise I do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For my commute through SE London it was strangely devoid of other cycling commuters this morning. Which did mean a nice ramble to work.

This evening however.. there will be no change.. there will be other cycling commuters... there will be some SCR :whistle::thumbsup:

Reactions: gaz
I've noticed this in sunny Donny and Leeds too. Say "Hi" to each and everyone of them. Hopefully next time I see them they'll return the favour and make the whole cycling to work experience a lot more enjoyable!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've noticed this in sunny Donny and Leeds too. Say "Hi" to each and everyone of them. Hopefully next time I see them they'll return the favour and make the whole cycling to work experience a lot more enjoyable!

Good thing you don't cycle in Central London then with the sheer amount of cyclists you would lose your voice after half an hour.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
This evening however.. there will be no change.. there will be other cycling commuters... there will be some SCR :whistle::thumbsup:

Should be good for improving your "VO2max", according to Horizon last night the best way of improving fitness/health.

Good thing you don't cycle in Central London then with the sheer amount of cyclists you would lose your voice after half an hour.
Agreed. Fewer numbers does make it more noticable though. When I started commuting 1.5 years ago I used to see about 2 cyclists on the Leeds side and 1 maybe 2 in Doncaster. Now I easily see 3-4 in Leeds (and sometimes 5-6) and about 7-8 in DOncaster.

Gooner Mad Dog

Coming into central London from Islington > Walthamstow would say numbers have doubled in last week or so, at one point there was a 14 of us together. People were looking to see if it was some sort of event even, surprised that a pack of bikers should speed & tinkle by in various atire.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I came up to a junction yesterday and there must have been 20 cyclists waiting at the lights. I took all of them as we set off!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

More in Leeds, certainly from the South in, since Christmas. I also say 'Morning/Evening', even if I don't get a response.

Nebulous

Guru
I've just completed my first year of fairly modest commuting.

In that time I've seldom had other people on my route, except for some going in the opposite direction. In the last two weeks I've seen about as many as in the previous year. Long may it continue. Roll on summer!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
More in Southampton, but ours started last spring. All the cycle locking points at work and in town by the shops have been filled.

What I hadn't seen until this last 2 weeks was how there are more between the rush hours. I've been off work for just over a week taking the last of my holiday so went out a couple of times on the bike. 10am and I've seen a fair few out. A lot are very young or slightly older than your average (mid 50s). I've also seen a few in the evenings whizzing past my window.

Southampton is no where near London or Bristol imo. The council estimate there to be about 4-6000 regular cyclists here.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I usually see at least half a dozen, but some times well over a dozen cyclists on my commute across Doncaster. This is far more than I saw when I first started commuting a couple of years ago. I put it down entirely to rising petrol prices.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
For my commute through SE London it was strangely devoid of other cycling commuters this morning. Which did mean a nice ramble to work.

Don't know what that SCR means :blush: but sounds scary.
Same here in Glasgow, suddenly plenty of cyclists on the roads/pavements ^_^ behind me, in front of me, too near me! But not near enough to answer to a good morning, sometimes.
I wish the semi pros would stop jumping the slow ones like me, at least they could ring their bell. Also a wee bit of respect for who's been commuting all winter ;) : we stand out by the tired looking high viz gear, you know!
I have been finishing at rush hour time for the last few days, hence the moan.

I usually see about half a dozen cyclists on my morning commutes. They are generally on hybrids or MTBs and always going in the opposite direction to me (no commuter racing:sad:).
The number of cyclists is slowly on the rise and today I even encounter two roadies, going the same way as me. Got them in my sights and passed them both:whistle:, nice to have a little fun to brighten a rather dull commute.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Itwo roadies, going the same way as me. Got them in my sights and passed them both:whistle:, nice to have a little fun to brighten a rather dull commute.

I have seen a few similar "roadies" this year already, nice shiny bikes and brand new gear but they appear to have hibernated during the winter as it was easy to catch them and drop them, even on my heavy hybrid.

Top Bottom