More driving instructor antics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, one antic anyway:

DSC00033.jpg

It rather makes one despair....

What you can't easily see is that the parked car (she was dropping off her pupil - after a lengthy chat while parked) is completely blocking a dedicated little cycle lane that bypasses a roundabout, so that I and several other cyclists had to manouvre out of the cycle lane, into the traffic and onto the roundabout. She drove off fairly briskly after I'd taken the photo!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Parked on double yellows?

As a side note, I love the people who paint the bicycles in the bike lane. Have they ever seen one?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I think the OP is trying to get across the point that this is a mandatory cycle lane(solid white line) so NO motor vehicles are allowed in it.

Bicycle

I've been telling my cycling children for years that it's often excusable for cars bearing an L-Plate to drive oddly or erratically.

But this one (instructor parked on a cycle lane) is poor and poor and poor. It sends out absolutely the wrong message to all road users and particularly to novice drivers.

I make no mention of the vanity plate or the tacky decals to the rear of the car.

As an aside, the cycle lane (from what one sees in the picture) seems to be in Chocolate Teapot Territory, too.

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
I think the OP is trying to get across the point that this is a mandatory cycle lane(solid white line) so NO motor vehicles are allowed in it.

Mandatory cycle lane? Is there such a thing?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Mandatory cycle lane? Is there such a thing?
Mandatory in sense that, unlike those marked with a broken line, motor vehicles MUST keep out.

No mandate for cyclists to use it. Given it's lack of width and the amount of potentially slippery thermoplastic paint on it I would be chary though if it bypasses a roundabout it might be worthwhile.

Wafu

There was an instance in my neck of the woods recently of a Driving Instructor in court for injuring a cyclist while taking a pupil back to their home after a lesson (pupil had had only a few lessons so was still unsure on busy roads). The instructor decided he didn't like the cyclist going past him in traffic, chased him down and then clipped him knocking him off his bike causing a fractured collar bone. Not only did witnesses call the police an ambulance but also the pupil gave evidence in court stating the instructor in the lead up to the incident voiced his 'opinion' on cyclists. One driving licence and career lost and a 6 month suspended sentence and £1000 in compensation handed out by the court!

Top Bottom