More HDTV advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You usually have to tell the source, in this case your V+ box, to output through HDMI and your TV should detect it via one of its HDMI inputs. You should be able to watch all your non-HD channels via HDMI now as well. But, I'm not a Virgin expert, if you'll excuse the pun Mr. P. But it should work. HDMI is a two way connection, both units will talk to one another.

Oh and another tip. Have you got any of the new Star Wars series on DVD? If you have there's an excellent screen set up procedure on them. You'll be surprised how far out all the settings are once you've used it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry User, I'm about 90% sure you haven't got it working in hdmi. HMDI disables scart etc in most circumstances if it is working on the V+. What channel source you got the LG set up on, is it on one of the two HDMI channels? Something like pressing "input" on the lg tv remote (near the top on the left?) and then scroll left and right to various options - labelled AV1,2,3, Composite, HDMI1, HDMI2? You'll need to try selecting HDMI1 or 2. On LGs you can usually rename them so you could call it Virgin or something after you've worked out which. It's an urban myth on virgin that you can't watch BBC HD through scart, you can just not properly.

The V+ engineer did this when I got it installed, plugged in HDMI and SCART and claimed it was set up for HDMI. I had the tell tale giveaway that he'd left the thing in 4:3 though!!! It's not really embarrassing the V+ guy didn't manage to do it or couldn't be arsed here.

To sort out the V+ side you have to press the blue "HOME" button then select "8 settings" and then "4 change audio and display settings". Go to the second line "display format" and the third line. There are various options widescreen and 4:3 are through scart and 720p 1080i and their "widescreen" versions are the HDMI hi def settings plus there are some component settings. Select HiDef HDMI and 720To finalise the settings it will ask you to press a button you cannot see if it's not working properly. This is the TEXT button just below the number pad. Note you may need to suddenly change channel on the tv to HDMI and suddenly all will appear.

You got the volume code for the new tv for the v+ remote?

HTH or that you've worked this out already.

P.S. You can select 1080 but it's less clear for menus etc, this is a bug on the V+.

P.P.S. the HDTV thing on the LCD on the front of the V+ just means that channel or VOD content by source is HD, not that you're necessarily watching in HD.

marinyork

It's both. What happens is when you go through that lot MENU/8/4 HDMI&720 it says if you can see this screen then press TEXT otherwise it times out after about 15 seconds and says scart will do thankyou very much. It says on mine I don't have a HDTV attached, I hastily change input to HDMI through the tv and suddenly the magic screen appears, I press text and it keeps it. If the tv input is on scart you won't see the screen saying you have to press TEXT (next to zero on the keypad on the v+ remote). This catches quite a few people out. My tv is even more mysterious than most, it doesn't even call hdmi hdmi it just calls it input 5!

I found a manual earlier that claimed to be for your tv. It wasn't very well written but the input button to change input from scart to hdmi (or others) should be the top left most button.

So you have to have the v+ plugged in through scart to "see what you're doing", switch the settings to HDMI through V+, have the screen go blank, hastily switch input on the tv to hdmi, have a screen appear that says press TEXT, do so and you'll be in HDMI. The problem is working out how to change input on the tv. It should be Input and then press up/down left/right something like that.

Sorry input button seems to be 3rd one down on the left?

marinyork

There's a manual way to get it to work that someone on the forums found ages ago. I don't use it as it takes long enough rebooting my v+ box.

Press reset button.
Press&hold stop/play on the panel on the box until boot appears in green text (about 5-10 seconds).
Wait a while till output comes up
ff through the options to hdrni press ok.
Wait about a million years for the thing to boot up. You can get composite 4:3 by selecting SD.

Hmmm might be worth a go actually. Switch your tv onto standby. Plug the hmdi cable from hmdi 1 into the v+ hmdi slot. Do the above, wait a while. Switch your tv on and see if it automatically picks it up. If it doesn't, press input and scroll through to see if you can get it. It might be better that way as you only have the tv side to link up rather than synchronising both sides?

marinyork

:becool::ohmy:! sounds like a possible hdcp problem. You got anything else that uses hdmi like an upscaling dvd player?

marinyork

Lol well that's good news I guess. If any of the problems come back there are things to do about it.

Wombledon on BBCHD solidly Mon, Tues, Weds. The Universe HD on tv choice on demand in the history channel section is quite good but they keep on deleting eps.

Top Bottom