More punctures on front or rear tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
When I get punctures, they're nearly always on the rear tyre. You'd've thought the front wheel would drive over the sharp thing first and would be the one to go flat, but oh no.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

walker

more weight over rear wheel, forcing more bits into it, no phenomenon, just common sense

just jim

This months CTC mag had an item on this very subject. I'd elaborate, but I'm meant to be working!!!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
walker said:
more weight over rear wheel, forcing more bits into it, no phenomenon, just common sense
Or maybe it's coz I ride all the way to work like this...
292y8vo0.jpg

Its hard to recall but I think I've had more p****ures on the front. On the road bike I've had none touch wood (says I tapping my head :biggrin:) and on the commuter I've had one, on the front. I had a speight a while ago on the front of the Sirrus, then one or two on the rear. I decided the rear was a bit fiddly and put a Armadillo on. Bizarrely after doing so I got no more puntures on the front and just one on the rear. Since I put new conti 4 seasons on it back in Jan, I've had none.

hackbike 6

Rare i get a front tyre punture apart from today.hi from work.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Quite often, the front tyre will flip up something like a nail, which was laying flat on the road, which then causes it to p*nct*r* the rear tyre.

Ben

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ben Lovejoy said:
Quite often, the front tyre will flip up something like a nail, which was laying flat on the road, which then causes it to p*nct*r* the rear tyre.

Ben
Good point (pardon the pun).

Andy Pandy

Friday night - both front and rear ;) . The rear was glass and the front was a bloody drawing pin. The front held its pressure till I got home so only had to change the rear. If it wasn't for the clicking noise with every revolution of the front wheel, I would have left the pin in the tire.

Top Bottom