1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More punctures on front or rear tyre?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Maz, 2 Jun 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

When I get punctures, they're nearly always on the rear tyre. You'd've thought the front wheel would drive over the sharp thing first and would be the one to go flat, but oh no.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

2. walker

walker New Member

more weight over rear wheel, forcing more bits into it, no phenomenon, just common sense

3. Iceniner

Iceniner New Member

So far its 2-1 to the front for me. Im an exception :-D

4. just jim

just jim Guest

This months CTC mag had an item on this very subject. I'd elaborate, but I'm meant to be working!!!

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Rear, The tyre always wears quickest so is more likely to puncture.

6. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Or maybe it's coz I ride all the way to work like this...
    [​IMG]

7. walker

walker New Member

theres your problem Maz, I would swap doing wheelies to just doing bunny hops to get even puctures

8. Its hard to recall but I think I've had more p****ures on the front. On the road bike I've had none touch wood (says I tapping my head :biggrin:) and on the commuter I've had one, on the front. I had a speight a while ago on the front of the Sirrus, then one or two on the rear. I decided the rear was a bit fiddly and put a Armadillo on. Bizarrely after doing so I got no more puntures on the front and just one on the rear. Since I put new conti 4 seasons on it back in Jan, I've had none.

9. hackbike 6

hackbike 6 New Member

Rare i get a front tyre punture apart from today.hi from work.

10. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

Quite often, the front tyre will flip up something like a nail, which was laying flat on the road, which then causes it to p*nct*r* the rear tyre.

Ben

11. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Good point (pardon the pun).

12. hackbike 6

hackbike 6 New Member

Get a unicycle then you wouldn`t have this problem.

13. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

Friday night - both front and rear ;) . The rear was glass and the front was a bloody drawing pin. The front held its pressure till I got home so only had to change the rear. If it wasn't for the clicking noise with every revolution of the front wheel, I would have left the pin in the tire.