More Riders, less racers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Noticed a lot less people on cycles around town since the clocks went back.

However, this seems to have left a residue of cyclists that appear (a bit like me) to be no longer interested in racing and just want to get to work. I was part of a "commuting peloton" all the way up the Old Kent road today with none of us fighting for a change in our respective positions.

all quite civilised really.

Like it ...although I miss the feeling of secuity in numbers

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I agree in the mornings, the numbers are down and the racers have gone into hibernation.

But the last 2 nights some riders seems to be far quicker than me and taking what I consider to be unnecessary risks. I may be a little more cautious in the dark than everyone else.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I agree in the mornings, the numbers are down and the racers have gone into hibernation.

But the last 2 nights some riders seems to be far quicker than me and taking what I consider to be unnecessary risks. I may be a little more cautious in the dark than everyone else.

yep, I'd agree with that, my return (dark) Journey time has increased by about 10 minutes since the weekend. I seem to naturally take it easy in the dark.

Give it a month or so and i'll probably adjust (competitive nature and all that) but form now I'm happy to just cruise.

BSRU

A Human Being
Still seeing lots of cyclists in Swindon.

The guy on the folder I see sometimes who likes to try and race me, only when I'm on the hybrid, still keeps trying.

I think he gained false hope when I was taking it easy a couple of weeks ago as I had a bad cold and was weak as a kitten, so went away alot slower than usual. He tried again on Monday but that was the first day for three weeks I have felt back to normal and was full of energy and nicely warmed up after 17 miles.

potsy

Rambler
Coming home from the night shift at 6am, I saw approx 10 other cyclists :ohmy:
Normally lucky to see more than 3 or 4, was too busy for me :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like the fairweathers have gone back to whatever mode of transport they use when the clocks go back.
Have seen hardly any on the commute this week, apart from last night. The grand total of 5 cyclists on the way home.

Strick

Around this way, I have seen a few extra people cycling in the mornings as I get closer to town.
There's one particular guy on a Giant road bike that I've seen a few times and always lost sight of him. Yesterday he came past me at a fairly reasonable pace. This morning I saw him turn on to the road I was on, and although I didn't catch him, he didn't open the gap any further either.
I have also noticed that my own average speed is down over the last couple of weeks, assumed it was down to the weather in one way or another.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bike stands at work are quieter.

Been able to park the bike against my favourite stand for the 8th day on the trot

Bicycle

This week (and it happens every year) I've started to be more aware of how cold, hard and slightly slippery the tarmac looks.

I scud my feet across it as I walk to the garage, like a motorcyclist of old, to see if there is any grip in it.

I've noticed this week that I'm paying far more attention to the contact patch as I enter a bed and I'm being very careful to get all my braking done early.

I think it's just the onset of winter. This is the sort of thimg that slips into daily life under a weak coalition government.

Same number of riders, fewer racers, slipperier roads.

Top Bottom