Morning all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merlinmagic

Thought I would say hello. Have only been cycling for a couple of months since changing jobs (parking in the middle of Nottingham costs a packet). As I am with a whole load of other cyclists kinda caught the bug.

So dusted off my trusty MTB and started cycling. All was going well until an early morning spill with a damp tram track cycling near the Arbouretum. I wouldn't have been too bothered but I had built up some really good speed and was proud of my achievement. Next thing I knew was sliding down the road on my elbow. Wasn't too bad but my arm took ages to heal from all the road rash.

A couple more weeks of cycling with the MTB with a buckled wheel and sticky brake then decided to go for it properly.

So saved my pennies and got a 2009 Specialized Sirrus Comp. Although a bit more than what I wanted to spend I love it. So much easier to ride and quick too.

Cycle on average everday around 4 miles each way. If you are around in the Nottingham area and see a fat guy on a Sirrus puffing and panting up Alfreton Road chances are its me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good morning Merlin, and welcome. :blush:
You got the bug too ?..good stuff. Now the hard bit is to keep it going through the winter. :smile:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Specialized - good choice. I would've bought a Specialized earlier this year if I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for delivery, bought a Giant instead.

BTW, welcome aboard. Mine's a pint. :angry::cheers::biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome, you have come to the right place. You are now trapped, there is no escape from this madhouse, and your wallet will suffer as you accumulate more clothing, bikes and gadgets.

So, just to get a few things out of the way and speed up your integration.

What is your position on each of the following subjects?;

Red light jumping and pavement cyclists.
Helmets and the wearing of Hi-Viz.
Global warming.
The damage to the countryside caused by recreational 4x4s.
Campag vs Shi**no vs SRAM.
Hybrids vs mountain bikes with slicks.
Racers vs road bikes.
Mudguards.
Politics.
Religion.
WD40.

No pressure.

OP
OP
merlinmagic

merlinmagic

Seeing as you asked so nicely:

Red light jumping and pavement cyclists.
RLJ definitely 100% NO - pavement sometimes if required. Have a couple of areas on my route where pavement is safest unless I fancy being a kamikaze. Have one major roundabout to deal with which in light traffic is fine. Heavy traffic forget it. If I was to get knocked off it would be on this junction. Traffic is too fast and not paying attention plus there is a chavs estate at one end of it so you tend to have boy racers testing out the grip of their tyres. Pavement is definitely safer then back on to the road later.

Helmets and the wearing of Hi-Viz.
Helmets and Hi-viz - always, but then I have two kids as well and think need to do my part to show all the dozey car drivers that there is a cycle on the road. They still wouldn't see me if I was a Christmas tree on wheels though. Plus I insist on my kids wearing helmets etc so I kind of have to do the same.

Global warming.
Who knows but think more people cycling and less traffic must be better for everyone.

The damage to the countryside caused by recreational 4x4s.
Majority of time its a minority that cause problems for the majority of decent people. The numpties will always be numpties until they eliminate themselves from the gene pool hopefully in their 4x4.

Campag vs Shi**no vs SRAM.
No clue. New to cycling so new preconceived ideas

Hybrids vs mountain bikes with slicks.
I have a hybrid enough said.

Racers vs road bikes.
See response to Campag.

Mudguards.
Personally I don't have them because I think it spoils the look of my bike. But then I do also get wet a lot and normally have soggy trousers after a few minutes of riding in the rain.

Politics.
People come to all sorts of conclusions based upon experience etc. Happy to share my thoughts but isn't this a cycling forum? :sad: Let's talk about cycling an save politics/religion for the pub.xx(

Religion.
See above.

WD40.
Personally don't think it works that well. Anytime I have used WD40 its always made a mess and left a sticky residue over everything. Oil and grease are better alternatives IMHO.

Ok so there you have it. Me in a few short sentences.

Mr Pig

Welcome. Not all cyclists are built like whipits. I'm fifteen stone! ;0)

Mud guards, comuting, big yes. Try them and you won't go back.

Most hybrids 'are' mountain bikes with slicks! ;0)

Top Bottom