morning or afternoon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
when you go for a leisure ride, do you prefer am or pm ride?
I prefer mine to be in the afternoon as I feel physically and mentality more active in the afternoon.
On the other hand, I always check the weather forecast so if it is going to rain in the afternoon, then I go in the morning.
also, because I ride solo, I can please myself really when I go.

Afternoon/Evening

I'd rather get my jobs done at home first so I can come back and do nothing, hate coming in and finding I forgot to do some chore! Also by the time of the afternoon I can see out the window what type of day it has become.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Morning preferble for me (mostly for family reasons)... but I like early starts, 8.30 Sat morning is typical, and I've already walked the dog for 40 mins or so by this point
icon_smile_approve.gif

sdr gb

Falling apart
Morning for me.

I'm always afraid that if I leave it to the afternoon, then something will turn up to prevent me from going out.

Skipper

Early morning. Up at the crack of dawn. Roads are quiet, can mull over the day's issues, no interruptions, can devote the rest of the day to family. Seen some fantastic sun-ups in my time.

400bhp

Guru
Early morning. Up at the crack of dawn. Roads are quiet, can mull over the day's issues, no interruptions, can devote the rest of the day to family. Seen some fantastic sun-ups in my time.

This

Willo

Early morning for me too - a combination of quiet roads, fits in neatly with family time and it is when I feel best in terms of exercise. Sets me up nicely for the day.

Time constraints mean I squeeze in a gym session on the spin bike or a commute to the station early in the morning and I find it energizes me for the day ahead. Equally, a morning ride on a Sunday gives me a satisfied feeling for the rest of the day (and means I can enjoy a little indulgence with a nice, relaxing Sunday lunch).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Agreed the earlier the better for me as well. Get 50 miles in and still be home for 10 ..

martint235

Dog on a bike
It depends, weekends I tend to go out early 7.30 - 8am ish for a 50 miler, get's me back around 10.30 - 11am so still time to read the papers etc.

During the week I'll go out at around 10ish to allow the rush hour traffic to get out of the way. My usual routes take me through Bromley to get out into Kent so traffic can be a 'mare before then

Shrimp_Stu

In the summer as early as possible (sometimes before 6am), but tend to wait until first light (not pitch dark) to begin (although equipped with lights). Agree with those who point to quiet roads, more family time, sets you up for the day knowing that you got a long ride whilst everyone else was asleep. Although, as the winter sets in - motivation to get up early fades and the distance travelled reduced so try and get out before 10am (wait for the head to clear from the previous night :whistle: ).

One other question on this is that I normally greet every cyclist with a "Good Morning / Morning" but on the occassion that my ride goes past 12.00pm I still revert to the "Good Moring / Morning" greeting rather than afternoon.....I still say it at 3pm.....weirdo!!

lulubel

Über Member
Morning for me.

I usually get my urgent work done (have my own business) and have breakfast before I go, then I can relax and enjoy the ride knowing there's nothing I need to do immediately I get back. And I still have most of the day left after my ride - or about half of it if it's a long ride.

If it's raining or blowing a gale in the morning, and the afternoon's forecast looks better, though, I'll wait.

Top Bottom